Help with setup

greg

Suspension is way too harsh for my weight of 155lbs. Almost got ejected going over a bump today. Riding through bumpy turns is also very unnerving. 
What are the softest settings and how do I change those?
Thanks. 

• Premium Member
The process is well described in the manual. First thing to do is ensure the bike is in the factory default position so you have a known setting to work from. This is also described in the manual. I suggest you make this check then ride the bike and report back as we cannot advise you unless we know you are working from a known base point.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 1 month later...
He should be OK at 155lbs. I'm a similar weight and I've set the rear preload to minimum. That didn't give me enough sag, 25mm. Although done a few more miles now and when I measured recently I had 35mm so it must be loosening up. It's still a little harsh but better than the stock setup.
I also had to increase the front preload because out of the box there was about 50mm sag.

• 2 weeks later...
I am about 150 lbs and riding the stock bike I need to soften up the suspension as well. Hitting sharp bumps on the road feels as if I have no suspension.
So I will first try rebound settings? Sound right?
Thanks.

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
I am about 150 lbs and riding the stock bike I need to soften up the suspension as well. Hitting sharp bumps on the road feels as if I have no suspension. So I will first try rebound settings? Sound right?
Thanks.
Whatever you do - make a written note of OE settings: then of every change you make as you go. This way you can quickly return to the starting point if you need to - otherwise it's needle-in-haystack stuff. L of S

I am about 150 lbs and riding the stock bike I need to soften up the suspension as well. Hitting sharp bumps on the road feels as if I have no suspension. So I will first try rebound settings? Sound right?
Thanks.
Start with setting the preload. After that adjust the rebound settings to your liking. As mentioned above, there is no compression damping adjustment, and it's set very firm on the FJ. Only way to change that is to change the fork oil to light viscosity. Or $pend money on the front suspension... ::)

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

Yes,  set the sag for your weight using preload adjustments first.  Many threads and how to's on the web.
As said, there are not any compression dampening adjustments. 
I'm still looking for a happy medium with the fork rebound, soft enough to let the tire follow the road and it pogos back up after brake release with spirited riding.
Good luck!

OK..great results with just a minor tweak of the suspension. It is like night and day. Very nice ride now. I tested over the nasty bumps.
Just half turn left on the fork nuts. One click left on the rebound damper on right fork. One notch softer on the rear monoshock. A half turn left on the rear rebound damper.
Amazing what small adjustments can do.

Archived