ECU FLash vs. Power commander

thewickedw0lf

I have been riding for a long time and got used to dealing with carbs on my dirtbikes and quads. So no that I've stepped into the present and got a fuel injected bike, I'm a little intimidated by the tuning. From another thread I read here it looks like there is a flash for our bikes available by someone on here.. for the same price as a power commander. I assume a flash is more custom and offers more changes to the bike, but are there any other advantages to get one over the other?

The very first FJ-09 tune was just completed by 2wheeldynoworks and Flashtune. Other tuners will buy that tune and software and license and cables and offer tunes as well, yes.

And some will make changes that could screw your bike up, and some will make changes that are good. But they will all be derivatives from this tune by 2wheeldynoworks and Flashtune, and they all will be ordering that first tune from Flashtune.

There is a guy running around online who took an FZ-09 kit and tune from flashtune, and was supposed to be getting a license for each tune that he did From Flashtune. He didn't , he basically chose to steal the software and reflash bikes without permission or licensing from Flashtune. Basically took their original tune and kept using it without paying
flashtune. It almost bankrupted Flashtune. And he is flashing FZ-09's for a very cheap price. And if he goes out of business, all of his customers will be screwed.

He burned his bridges with Flashtune and will not be getting the FJ-09 tune. Nor should he. Nor would I load it on my engine if he did.

80% of Nels business at 2wheeldynoworks is from dealers sending their customers ECU's to him. Trust me, this flash is safe. It's like changing jets, airfilter, adjusting timing on our old bikes, except that it is all controlled by ECU/computer now. And many other great changes are available.

I have the power commander V on my bike. Since I have already purchased and installed the Powercommander I will leave it on and have the guys do my ECU for all the other items that the powercommander can't do.
Now......If this ECU was available 2 months ago then I would have got it instead.
2016 R1
2015 FJ-09-------SOLD
2002 Wr250F
2014 Concours

Potential Parameters a power commander can control
1. Throttle position vs RPM fuel modifier 
2. Throttle resolution is 0, 2, 5, 10, 15, 20, 40, 60, 80, 100
3. RPM resolution is every 250 rpms from idle to redline
4. for extra money you can add ignition control and a quickshifter

Potential Parameters an ECU flash can control
1. MAP (load ) fuel mapping. All adjustments are factory decided tuning resolution. Sometimes its 100x100
2. TPS fuel mapping. All adjustments are factory decided tuning resolution. Sometimes its 100x100
3. MAP vs. TPS bias
4. Igniton mapping. All adjustments are factory decided tuning resolution. Sometimes its 100x100
5. Throttle target vs. throttle actual mapping. All adjustments are factory decided tuning resolution. Sometimes its 100x100
6. Decel throttle mapping
7. Individual gear and cylinder mapping for fuel and timing
8. Mode switch mapping
9. rev limiter 
10. speed limiter
11. quick shifter
12. Air injection
13. Fuel cut
14. o2 sensor
15. Idle speed
16. Tip over sensor
17. Exhaust valve (when applicable) 
18. Fan temperature
19. speedometer calibration

Awesome, thanks! One more question.. since there are 19 different parameters listed, I am wondering if it is typical for people to ask for specific things when getting an ECU flash. For example if I wanted the top speed to be set at 130. Is it just and easy change, and lengthy change that would cost me more money, or not even worth it to the tuner to offer that service?

With a PC-5 I can make changes to the fuel map and see throttle position/rpm on a dyno with the software opened. Can I do this with the Flashtune set-up? Used to tweaking all of my bikes as I have a dyno. I like the ability to go in and tune in the stock ecu as I can on Triumphs, Buells, and my Hayabusa.

• Premium Member
With a PC-5 I can make changes to the fuel map and see throttle position/rpm on a dyno with the software opened. Can I do this with the Flashtune set-up? Used to tweaking all of my bikes as I have a dyno. I like the ability to go in and tune in the stock ecu as I can on Triumphs, Buells, and my Hayabusa.
I was looking at the PC-5 today.  It's too much money to do right now, what with all the other farkles I've bought, and I don't want to mess with it until everything is well and truly broken in anyway, but it seems like it might be just the ticket for smoothing out the low-RPM surging and abruptness and I wouldn't have to either buy another ECU to reflash or take the bike out of service for a week or two while I send the ECU out. 
If you're familiar with it, I have two questions:

1. How hard is it to do something like slightly enrichen sub-4krpm?  I've not even seen the software so I'm not sure what the parameters are, or what kind of feedback might be available (e.g. O2 sensor levels using the on-bike equipment) other than seat-of-the-pants.

2. Are there tunings already done for the FJ?  While I'm a geek and happy to play with settings until the cows come home, I'm also pretty happy to let others do the work and just go ride.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Thinking the cruise area is governed by the stock O2 sensor, the FZ guys say that from 5-20% throttle and 2000-6500 RPM is this area and it will shoot for a lean mixture about 14.1-14.5. The transition from this lean to an air/fuel in the 13 range it what you are feeling.Thinking the PC cannot change this. But will be beta testing device to take care of this.

JimF- it's easy to do this with the PCV software. But the issue arises from the bike being in closed loop mode most of the time above 2,000 rpm and slight throttle positions.

Pretty sure you can download the software from dynojet's website. You could open it and see how easy it is. Also in the "downloads section" you can see what maps are available for the FJ/FZ.

Fireman- correct , the PCV cannot change the A/F if the bike is in closed loop mode. HOWEVER, most of the PCV's ship with something called an O2 optimizer. This device "tricks" the bike into staying in open loop mode so you actually can dial in the A/F to your liking.

-Skip

Archived