Question Regarding Peg Placement

After lurking for several months, I'm finally in a position to buy an FJ-09. So I went to a local Yammy dealer and, with the bike on the center stand, crawled up and sat down. First thing I noticed was that the pegs are further to the rear than I expected. Given the fact that I'm stuck with 69 year old knees, I came away a bit concerned about long-distance riding comfort. I've lived with an FJR the past several years, taking many long trips, and never had a problem. So my question for those who have put a few miles on their FJ: Should I be concerned?

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
After lurking for several months, I'm finally in a position to buy an FJ-09. So I went to a local Yammy dealer and, with the bike on the center stand, crawled up and sat down. First thing I noticed was that the pegs are further to the rear than I expected. Given the fact that I'm stuck with 69 year old knees, I came away a bit concerned about long-distance riding comfort. I've lived with an FJR the past several years, taking many long trips, and never had a problem. So my question for those who have put a few miles on their FJ: Should I be concerned?
I have 76 yo knees, Viper, and comfort/ ergos were of prime consideration to me - fresh off a BMW R1200 R Roadster.I find the position and knee bend perfectly acceptable, indeed - [em]comfy[/em], though admittedly only having done one reasonably long ~400km circuit on the new bike.   But I bought it to indulge my liking for longer-distance touring and believe it will suit me fine.   But then again - I'm sure that our knees are not the same...! Lawrence of Suburbia [em] (‘39 model)
Brisbane
Queensland
Australia

2015 Matte Grey Tracer – now at 1048 km
[/em]

Yes, you should be very concerned.  

I have 56 year old knees and value comfort above all else. I noticed the same thing and comparing the FJ to my Super Tenere the pegs appear to be about 4 inches farther back. The Super Tenere is perfect for me but the FJ is not. I have a little over 2400 miles on the FJ and it is currently for sale for this primary reason. 

• Premium Member
Yes, you should be very concerned.  

I have 56 year old knees and value comfort above all else. I noticed the same thing and comparing the FJ to my Super Tenere the pegs appear to be about 4 inches farther back. The Super Tenere is perfect for me but the FJ is not. I have a little over 2400 miles on the FJ and it is currently for sale for this primary reason. 

I'd like to add a not necessarily to bmac's comment.

I owned a Super Tenere for 4 years and 20000 miles. I loved the ergonomics of that bike. I rode the FJ09/Tracer demo bike and its ergonomics also agreed with me. I changed bikes in early March, I have done 2000 miles on the Tracer and I do not regret my change of bikes at all. The 60kg lighter weight and the extra speed of the Tracer are quite endearing.

I am a 52 year old Welshman with rugby related knee injuries, some from 40 years ago.

People are different, so you will have to try the bike for yourself on a demo ride as sitting on the bike in the showroom is not a reliable indicator that you will get on with the ergonomics.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I am 10+US foot size and I can confirm that riding on your toes does put your heel in contact with the rear peg.  With that said, it is not too bad.  I sometimes use it to prop my feet where I want them temporarily.  This is no issue in my opinion.  

OP here. All good comments--thanks! I guess I just have to find a dealer who will let me take an FJ out for a while to see for myself.

I've always moved around a lot on my bikes, especially when doing a series of high-mileage days. I stand probably 20% of the time. I put my feet on my sliders. I engage the throttle lock and slide back on the pillion and use weight-shift to steer. On the slab with light traffic, I'll swing a leg over and ride side-saddle. A lot of that has to do with reducing bum-burn, but some is due to painful knees.

Luckily, I have a fallback, the FJR. I'm going to try the FJ before I make a decision, but I know I can stay comfy on the FJR and I can get a new 2014 leftover--which comes standard with side bags, heated grips, and cruise--for less than a thousand more than an FJ with side bags and mounts added, heated grips added, and no cruise. I'd love to have a lighter, quicker-handling bike, but for slaying miles, the FJR is hard to beat. IMHO, of course. YMMV.

Archived