Low FJ09 clearance and tall curb incident.

Coming home from work late at night, tired, and had to circumvent a tragic SUV rollover. Went up onto the wide shoulder where the curb was knocked down, to get around, but then had to come off a 8"-10"(?) curb to get back on the street. I should have paid attention but was anxious to get going. The exhaust pipe hung up on the curb for a second until I goosed the throttle and moved off it. At first I wasn't sure if I hung up on the oil sump so immediately pulled over to check. No oil leak so drove home. Checked it over at home and the only damaged is a slightly flattened and scraped 1.5" section of the pipe.
  Lesson learned. I should have got off the bike and, unloaded, it would have likely cleared the curb fine. Or kept on the shoulder until I found a lower section of curb. The cars that pulled off had to wait for who knows how long until the police and paramedics cleared the crash site and the cars could back up to where the curb was down.
  My Versys would have cleared the curb with nary a hiccup.

BTW. How thin are the exhaust pipes and if a hole occurred could a patch be welded?

nice excuse to fork up for the akro full system!!  8-)
Yeah, I already looked at prices and listened to recordings of their system on youtube! LOL Also looked at Hepco Becker's bash plate.

I'd possibly splurge on a titanium Akro  but I don't want to mess with tunings and any loss of economy. She already has ample power for me.

nice excuse to fork up for the akro full system!!  8-)
Yeah, I already looked at prices and listened to recordings of their system on youtube! LOL Also looked at Hepco Becker's bash plate.

I'd possibly spurge on a titanium Akro  but I don't want to mess with tunings and any loss of economy. She already has ample power for me.

I dont think the bash plate would help the bottom of the exhaust sit below the guard.

I'd possibly spurge on a titanium Akro  but I don't want to mess with tunings and any loss of economy. She already has ample power for me.

I dont think the bash plate would help the bottom of the exhaust sit below the guard.
Thanks for the info. Not worth the money if the exhaust isn't protected, although the sump would be.

Archived