Flashing the ECU w/aftermarket cruise control

EJD87

I bought a 2015 FJ-09 about seven months ago, and one of the best mods the previous owner made was installing an aftermarket electronic cruise control. I’m currently trying to get my ECU flashed through Ivan to smooth out the surging at low speed and the on/off throttle. When I mentioned to him that the previous owner had this modification done, Ivan said there might be a potential problem. If the CC is plug and play, and not flashed into the ECU, then there shouldn’t be an issue. However, if the CC was flashed into the ECU, then when Ivan does his own flash, the CC might not work anymore and that would be irreversible.

Part of the problem is that I don’t recognize this cruise control. It doesn’t look like an Mccruise model, and I no longer have the previous owner’s contact info, or I would reach out to him. So could anybody here possibly tell me about the CC I have on the bike? Picture is attached. 

59BAAE70-6304-4668-B477-5BCBD6B31FAE.jpeg

• Supporting Member

That looks like an early control switch for the MCCruise.  Remove the seats and look, usually the control unit is mounted in the tray behind the battery and should have a logo or sticker on it, post a picture so we can help.

I don't have Ivan's flash but I do use the MCCruise CC with a different flash (2WDW) and there is no issue whatsoever, they play nicely together, I'm sure others here also have vcyclenut flash and MCCruise.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Ok, this was super helpful advice, thanks! It’s not an Mccruise unit, but  something that I believe used to be distributed years ago until the company went out of business. 

I found a video on YouTube of somebody who had the same unit on the same model year. He talked about wires from the CC being soldered into the ECU, but nothing about flashing it. Would I be ok with a flash? Is this a similar setup to the more modern Mccruise units?BE4C1D15-824E-4778-8544-80800EEA3AA0.thumb.jpeg.3b0752a4228f742f30fff2e7ef59dbed.jpeg

• Supporting Member

On the MCCruise you don't solder wires but you connect wires inline to the ECU plug connector, as well as the brake light and ignition coil.  I'm definitely NOT an expert but the method of installing both brands of CC should be very similar, the main change to the ECU flash is a different fuel map and removing ignition restrictions.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***