Thoughts on BDR Routes...not for me!

• 2 months later...

About ten years ago, most of my riding friends were bitten with the ADV bug and bought various machines.  I was firmly in the street camp and didn't see the point.  I definitely didn't want to deal with the compromise of a full size ADV bike, so I missed out on some fun trips.  Then I got into dirt riding as a way of "cross training" to improve my track and street riding skills (which I think it did in spades).  I dabbled slowly due to other priorities in life (cough - kids). But...

I did the full NEBDR last year with a couple buddies.  Ran the route in the typical direction (north), and then rode the backroads home.  We did all the technical sections, and even recreated the original route that included a more technical section in Maine (was shown in the documentary) and then went on the logging roads to Jackman, ME. Was about 1,700 miles round trip.  I've done a lot of sport touring over the years, but if I'm being honest, this was probably the single best trip we've done.

We had 2 WR250R's and a DR650.  I (on a WR) never wanted a bigger bike, even on the tarmac sections - which were not highway.  To each their own, but I'm just not interested in the big bikes for the types of riding I do.  They're simply too tall, too heavy, and way too pricey when things break.  The little bikes really hold their own in the gnar, of course.  That translates into using less energy per mile - which extends the day and keeps my focus sharp.

We run DOT knobbies on these bikes.  If you run street pressures, the tires wear just fine on asphalt and really don't give up much grip in the twisties.  I can easily hold my own on the WR alongside faster bikes with street tires.  No BS.  Of course, the real benefit is being able to air them down for the technical sections and dirt/gravel roads.  Having owned some 'big' bikes before with ADV tires, I simply don't care to deal with the compromise of an ADV tire.  Full disclosure however, the tires will be smoked after 2000 miles if you're not on top of the pressure and you're a heavy trail braker (guilty).  So, if you're doing a 4,000 mile trip, you'll need to either change the set out half way through or deal with the compromises of an ADV tire.

As far as lodging, we did a mix of camping and hotels.  The camping was partially to save a few bucks, but mostly to spend time in nature.  It definitely adds time to the day to set up and tear down and the gear adds up on the bike.  But even bringing our own food and cooking gear, total weight was only around 40-50 lbs total.  Not bad for to be comfortable for 8 days!  On a light bike like the WR, it's still only about 350-375 lbs when fully fueled and loaded.  About 200 lbs lighter than the corresponding full size rig!

Should you take the Tracer?  I wouldn't.  Do you need a purpose built dual sport or ADV rider?  Again, no...but the margins are wider with the right machinery which buys you speed, safety, and a piece of mind.

Of course, I still love sport touring...but there's something about being in the wild away from people!

Fair enough.  Sounds like a good trip.  For me (and possibly you did this as well), I would therefore be looking at trailering a bike to the start of the route if I was going to do it on a dual sport.  I think I'll do a "semi-BDR" route based on the MABDR, but using all paved roads, so I get an idea of the whole area first.  The following run could be more off-road based.  

That being said, I understand that the MABDR is all secondary highways and gravel roads.  Wondering if anyone could clarify; if that's the case, I could take the Tenere 700 on the 1100km trip to the start and ride it all the way through and back.