90 Second Chain Tighten

So last fall I got fed up with the lousy stock chain adjustment shenanigans.  The two main problems are: 1.) the adjusters themselves, and 2.) The axle that wants to spin as you retorque the axle nut.

I had reset the chain adjustment last fall, but before tightening the axle I pounded it out of the hub a ways and took 80 grit sandpaper to where the axle and adjuster make contact.  After scaring up the area I cleaned it up with rubbing alcohol and let it dry.  I then JB Welded the axle to the chain adjuster from behind and the side.  It then cured after applying just a hint of torque on the axle nut to get everything positioned correctly but without squeezing out all the epoxy.  I torqued the axle the next day.

This morning I adjusted the chain for the first time since it was "welded".  I backed off the axle torque 3/4 turn, then made equal adjustments to both adjustment bolts.  Retorqued the axle to "that's about right" and done.  The axle stayed "welded" to the adjuster and didn't partially rotate like it always would.  Overall, fastest adjustment in the history of FJ‐09's.

TIG welding would have worked too.  

20230601_155117.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I don't have any issues adjusting the chain on my Tracer 900 GT. It takes less than 5 minutes, and I always adjust them when I return from my rides. That way, they are ready to go when I want to get out of the house quickly and go riding. 

My post ride ritual is to put the bike in the garage, and do a quick inspection for loose items, and other things that could have become loose or lost during my ride. I wipe down the bike with some rags, clean the wind shield, and then check the chain adjustment (and adjust if necessary) I also re-check my chain tension before starting any rides.

It really only takes a few minutes to accomplish all this, and gives me a chance to look for anything that may be a hazard before my next ride. 

• Thumbsup 1

You don't need to adjust the chain all that often, so I don't see where this is saving any time whatsoever.

If the chain slack is properly adjusted (which is NOT Yamaha's insanely tight spec), and if the chain is decent quality (the stock chain is not very decent) there's zero need to adjust until the chain is in the last 5-10% of its lifespan.

So sure, I check chain slack while cleaning/lubing, but other than perhaps one minor adjustment just after installation, there's never a need to adjust again until the chain is almost dead. In other words, if I have to adjust it, I order a new chain and sprockets immediately because it's toast.

• Thumbsup 5

Or just get a cheap aftermarket chain adjuster blocks. 
No need for trailer park fix. 

IMG_3537.thumb.jpeg.804d797c3b38d3c67c35234f9c357dfa.jpeg

I replaced original chain at 7000km with a quality DID. 
Adjusted it at 8500km, now has 24000km and haven’t had to adjust it yet. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, OZVFR said:

Or just get a cheap aftermarket chain adjuster blocks. 
No need for trailer park fix. 

IMG_3537.thumb.jpeg.804d797c3b38d3c67c35234f9c357dfa.jpeg

I replaced original chain at 7000km with a quality DID. 
Adjusted it at 8500km, now has 24000km and haven’t had to adjust it yet. 

I bought those same chain adjuster blocks many years ago, SO much better than the oem design.  I wanted to post a link to share with others but couldn't find them available online anymore.

I agree with you and @bwringer - after the initial adjustment on the new chain, I just don't need to adjust the chain until it starts to get near the end of its life. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***