New member from Olney, MD; Happy 2022 Tracer 9 GT owner

Bought my 2022 Tracer 9 GT last October, and love the bike. Haven't taken a real trip on it yet, just a few day rides.

Mods so far include the Yamaha extended windscreen; frame/motor guards; rear fender eliminator/license+tail light mount; custom made seats by Steve Gowing (highly recommended!).

Looking for an aftermarket exhaust system for this model/year - anybody have one? I love the sound of the stock setup, but just can't get past the esthetics of it.

Other bikes I currently own:

* 2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
* 1993 Honda ST1100
* Mildly customized 1999 Suzuki 600 Bandit
* Custom 1981 Yamaha XS650 street tracker
* 1991 Kawasaki KLR250
* 1971 Bultaco 250 Pursang

1. My Tracer 9GT.jpg

2. Tenere 700 (0).jpg

3. Honda ST1100.jpg

4. Suzuki (0).jpg

5. XS650.jpg

6. Kawasaki KLR250.jpg

7. Bultaco.jpg

Edited by claytonia
edited bike photos
  • Thumbsup 8

Looks like we we've done similar mods to our T9GT. I bought my silver/blue model back in August, definitely loving the ride!

I think you'll find either the LeoVince or Akropovic are the 2 main exhausts people choose. I went with the LV as I wanted to keep the low profile look of the exhaust without it sticking back out near the case. There's also Dominator which someone is selling in the for sale/used section.  Whatever exhaust you choose, it definitely adds a lot more rumble and IMHO enhances the CP3 engine. 

Thanks for those tips! I think I may have been typing in 2023 for my model year and maybe that's why I couldn't find anything. I was looking at the Akrapovic. But the other two are worth looking at as well it sounds like. I definitely don't want to make it louder, but mainly I'm just looking for something that has a better appearance. That blob underneath the motor just has to go 🙂

Thanks again!

• Thumbsup 1

I'm with you on appearance-wise, again why I went with the LV. The welds and quality are great. I also put the DB killer back in as I didn't notice performance improvement and didn't want anything obnoxiously loud while not annoying my neighbors. 

Here's a pic of my exhaust/bike taken last weekend near Mt Rainier at Chinook pass...

Chinook.jpg.319b09ba602627b9d5d85f3d251f

Edited by robzilla
  • Thumbsup 1

I need to check out the others. This looks cool, although I had something slightly more traditional in mind (like the Akrapovic actually). Done with this for today - need to go take care of some stuff. Thanks again for the advice, and photo.

FYI just uploaded pix of my collection...

• Supporting Member

Nice bunch of other motorcycles, especially the Pursang! Always wanted to ride one back in the day. Bultaco"s were the off road bike to have for quite a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I'm with you on the Bultaco's. This is probably the one model I would get, a fantasy back when I was a teenager - M68, 1971, 250, the two color fiberglass, dual plug, 5 speed, etc. And this guy just gave it to me (it was a total basket case, in a shed, and he wasn't going to do anything with it). So, not even knowing what model it was, I took it. Then when I got home I looked up the serial # - I was pretty surprised (an understatement)! It was in really bad, incomplete shape, but hey it was free. Took the motor apart to check the condition, and it sat under my bench for 10 years. Became the perfect CVOVID project for me. Decided to restore it.

Of course I probably have more than it's worth into it by now, but it's such a beautiful, iconic bike to me!

• 7 months later...

I think I'm done (yeah right) with mods to my 2022 Tracer 9 GT:

- Dominator exhaust (w/aux. muffler + a baffle I added, still pretty loud)
- Custom seat by Steve Gowing
- Yamaha taller windshield
- Saddlebag panels painted to match (I gave up trying to get these, domestically and from Europe - so a friend who works at a body shop did it for me, for all of $40. Unfortunately they still are too big for me, but not complaining about all they can hold)
- Rear fender eliminator
- Small-ish black crash bars, mounted to motor
- Red wheel rim strips (I hate all-black rims!)

Seat (Small).jpg

Tracer 9 GT (Small).jpg

• Thumbsup 6

I think it was just a no-name Chinese "Tail Tidy" off eBay - very simple but effective, fairly well made, took the OEM signals while still fitting between the bags. I checked but no longer available there.

Hey, where in the Bay Area are you? I grew up in Pleasant Hill, lived in SF for a while, then El Cerrito, before moving out here in Maryland in 1980.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2024 at 1:40 PM, claytonia said:

I think it was just a no-name Chinese "Tail Tidy" off eBay - very simple but effective, fairly well made, took the OEM signals while still fitting between the bags. I checked but no longer available there.

Hey, where in the Bay Area are you? I grew up in Pleasant Hill, lived in SF for a while, then El Cerrito, before moving out here in Maryland in 1980.

I'm in San Leandro, just south of Oakland.