Learning the roads….

duckie

It been almost a year moving up here. Ive spent time exploring the roads around here…..and still got more to do. 
It is quite a different type of riding here than in the hills around the Bay Area. 

There are no short loop rides around here. There is a close what I call in and out ride thats quite fun. The road is out in the middle of nowhere and not well traveled or patroled. Its surface is good and some really fun sections and no really tight 180 turns. 

In and out ride is one where you ride to a spot and take the same route out. 
The loop rides are a minimum of between 3-6 hours……for a loop ride and thats on short side. 

Recently, I heard of a place called Bambi Inn in Butte Meadows, a town of a whopping population of 40. I toad out there couple days ago.  Took 32 out of Chico to Humbolt road to Butte Meadow and Bambi Inn. 
Bambi Inn is a old fashion small town bar and grill. It fells the hole left by moving away of Applejacks in La Honda in the Bay Area. 
Thr Bay Area had many great moyorcycle spots in the hills to hang out that were not to far from rach other. No such thing up here.

The cheese burger and tater tots were good as was sitting on the front deck eating them. Its was perfect weather. Something about being out in Gods Country thats makes riding what it is……..a joy.

I took Skyway out of Butte Meadows down to Paradise.

32 is always a pleasure. The section before Humbolt rd is nice and easy. Plenty of sweepers and nothing to challenging. If ya are in the mind…..its a real fast section of 32….not that I would knew(right….).

Humbolt road is just the oppsite in terms of twisties. The pavement was outstanding……fairly smooth and looks as not to old. One turn flowed into other, flowed into another into another and so on. 

Skyway is two different types of road in one. Leaving Butte Meadow, it starts as a nice two lane blacktop with a decent surface and once again nice flowing turns. After a bit, it narrows down to almost a one lane road with lots of tight back to back turns…….most blind. The surface got somewhere bumpy but manageable. Stays like that for a bit but then goes back to two lanes near civilization.

Riding through Paradise was sorta surreal seeing the aftermath of the firestorm a few years ago. 

A few pics of Bambi Inn853BD10C-0DB0-4F34-A81A-93B8691F1553.thumb.jpeg.492ed2c4aa890fbcec83b0821f847414.jpeg

3CF46784-A011-4F79-A7F7-CDD8A918F13F.jpeg

A31A2F96-05D6-4B2C-BEA1-0F4F9B0545CE.jpeg

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
22 minutes ago, duckie said:

32 is always a pleasure. The section before Humbolt rd is nice and easy. Plenty of sweepers and nothing to challenging. If ya are in the mind…..its a real fast section of 32….not that I would knew(right….).

Thanks for the info

I will be down that way in about 3 weeks.  I will be coming from Mt Shasta into Mineral and then riding 32 and ending up in Yuba City for the night.  The following morning I will be heading over Carson Pass to Markleeville and Carson City for the night.

I have never ridden either 32 or Carson Pass, I'm really looking forward to it.

I always try to mix the familiar roads with something new each time in California, last year I rode 49 through Downieville and Ebbetts Pass and the year before was 70 through Belden and Sonora Pass.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

FYI, on 32 there are two construction areas that are one lane  with traffic light controls. 
The pavement should be excellent off of 36/89 at the top. It was being repaved last year and hopefully they are done.

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
27 minutes ago, duckie said:

FYI, on 32 there are two construction areas that are one lane  with traffic light controls. 
The pavement should be excellent off of 36/89 at the top. It was being repaved last year and hopefully they are done.

Great info, Thank You

I don't know that I have EVER been through California without road construction somewhere on the route.  It can be inconvenient but my hats off to CalTrans for their diligence. 👍🏻

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***