I turned 8,000 miles today on a ride to Astoria, OR.  Here are some facts about fuel mileage for me.

I have completed 6 times filling the tank after going over 200 miles.  202/4.46 gals, 209/4.23 gals, 215/4.53 gals, 207/4.05 gals, 218/4.46 gals, 206/4.317 gals.
Average mpg is 46.26 for the 8K.  Fun fact:  Bike computer records approx. 3-4 mpg extra.
My best mileage ever is 58.93mpg but that was on only a partial tank full.  Otherwise, 51.42 based on a full tank (over 3.5 gals).

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

I get anywhere from 42 to 48mpg depending on how hard I ride ( lower gears, higher revs when hammering in the canyons). Average, calculated 45 probably. My computer is usually 2 mpg high.

8k, grats! Now go tell us how hard it is to change spark plugs, they are due...

Ty
'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

I get anywhere from 42 to 48mpg depending on how hard I ride ( lower gears, higher revs when hammering in the canyons). Average, calculated 45 probably. My computer is usually 2 mpg high. 

Ty
What is the European interval for spark plugs?  At 8K they will look like new.

• Premium Member

Ty
every 12,000 miles or 20,000km, which is still too soon in my view. Cars can seem to manage 20,000 miles on a set of plugs.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

every 12,000 miles or 20,000km, which is still too soon in my view. Cars can seem to manage 20,000 miles on a set of plugs.
I think they will look like new also. But i'm still going to check them. Do a carb sync at the same time. There may be a reason they want 8k changes. :| 
Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

From my experience with the 650 Versys, the plugs has a 12k km change interval. Factory plugs were already Iridium, which is suppose to have longer life span than standard plugs. I changed the plugs at 24k km after noticing a drop in fuel mileage and sluggishness. IMO, 20k km change for the Versys is probably a good change interval. Upon visual inspection at 24k km, they appear to be fine but have noticeable wear on the electrodes.

Cars Iridium plugs last till 80k km, but why do bikes have shorter life span? I suppose the plugs on bikes fire 3 to 4X more frequently than for cars as the revs are always higher than on cars.

I don't have a FJ yet but have already prepared the Iridium plugs from Denso, IK27A (I think) purchased from eBay. It's the same plugs used on the Versys. Gonna change out the plugs on 1k km service when I get the FJ, as I believe the stock FJ plugs are just standard plugs.

From my experience with the 650 Versys, the plugs has a 12k km change interval. Factory plugs were already Iridium, which is suppose to have longer life span than standard plugs. I changed the plugs at 24k km after noticing a drop in fuel mileage and sluggishness. IMO, 20k km change for the Versys is probably a good change interval. Upon visual inspection at 24k km, they appear to be fine but have noticeable wear on the electrodes. 
Cars Iridium plugs last till 80k km, but why do bikes have shorter life span? I suppose the plugs on bikes fire 3 to 4X more frequently than for cars as the revs are always higher than on cars.

I don't have a FJ yet but have already prepared the Iridium plugs from Denso, IK27A (I think) purchased from eBay. It's the same plugs used on the Versys. Gonna change out the plugs on 1k km service when I get the FJ, as I believe the stock FJ plugs are just standard plugs.
Please share where you found Iridium plugs for the FJ-09.  I have not been able to locate any, either at Denso or NGK.   
I have been using NGK Iridium plugs in my 05 FJR1300 for over 50,000 miles per set without issue.  I am on my second of three sets and it has been in use for 55,000 miles.   I originally got the Iridium plugs to be changed along with the valve adjust at 26,600 and did that three times, then started to reuse the used sets, which I saved.

Archived