suspension greatly improved...

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
Suspension, previously horribly harsh for my [strong]80kg all-up weight[/strong], has been tweaked, with care taken to record all steps.

Front is now markedly more compliant: rear may need a final minor adjustment but I’ll leave it as-is for the time being as I’ll have about 20kg or so in panniers when on my longer trip: for shorter-distance stuff it’s fine.

Adjustments made were as follows, all from the ex-factory out-of-the box settings:

FORKS – preload was at 6 lines showing, now 8 lines.
Rebound was at 6 clicks, now 13.

REAR SPRING – preload now in position #2
Rebound was turned ½ turn (180°) clockwise. May need a touch more – see above.

I hope this may assist others...

L of S

Guest rszk
Thanks for the settings. I will give them a try. We are same weight.
What's your riding style? Casual or more aggressive?

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
Thanks for the settings. I will give them a try. We are same weight. What's your riding style? Casual or more aggressive?
Strictly relaxed, rs - 'tho I must say that I do find the rather more spirited nature of the Tracer encourages me to push-on a bit at times, just for fun.   Bear in mind I came off a long line of boxer twins! I tend to cruise at around 100 to 110kph - rarely more, and try to maintain very relaxed arm- and hand-posture on the bike, on the grips, etc. Having said that I'm going to leave well alone for the time being, just mulling it over I think I'll soften the rear rebound just a touch more - but really, the bike has been transformed!
Best...
L of S

• Premium Member
Thanks for the settings. I will give them a try. We are same weight. What's your riding style? Casual or more aggressive?
Strictly relaxed, rs - 'tho I must say that I do find the rather more spirited nature of the Tracer encourages me to push-on a bit at times, just for fun.   Bear in mind I came off a long line of boxer twins! I tend to cruise at around 100 to 110kph - rarely more, and try to maintain very relaxed arm- and hand-posture on the bike, on the grips, etc. Having said that I'm going to leave well alone for the time being, just mulling it over I think I'll soften the rear rebound just a touch more - but really, the bike has been transformed!
Best...
L of S

That just shows how subjective we all are, and how diverse our riding conditions (roads, climate etc) and styles are. L of S finds it better with less pre-load and I had to increase the pre-load to feel more comfortable. We ride differently and on different roads, and subjectively we have different preferences. So I think it is unlikely that someone could publish and ideal setting for a specific load. I read the manual on suspension settings, checked my current settings and realised that they were in the "softest" possible setting. So I started from there and quickly found a setting that felt much better. As long as you keep the two forks symmetrical you can't really mess anything up. Experiment. You'll find the right setup for your conditions and your preferences.

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
Experiment. You'll find the right setup for your conditions and your preferences.
I wholly agree with all the above - with the proviso that it will make life very much easier if you note down every step taken and change made, just in case you want to/ need to retrace those steps! L of S

Archived