600 Mile Service - What does it require?

I broke in my bike over two days, putting 300 miles a night after work so I can get to really riding it ASAP.

My dealership told me the 600 mile service is around 390 dollars, which is actually more than what my Ducati cost, so I was very surprised that it was that much.

Besides cleaning and lubing the chain, checking tire pressures, checking the fluids, changing the oil, filter and drain gasket and looking over and washing the bike, what else can possibly drive this service to such a high sum?

I plan on doing the service myself, changing the oil and filter once more after 1000 miles, and since I did not find the answer on the forums, can anyone who has had this service completed please post a detailed list of what the dealership would be doing to the bike at this interval?

Thank you all in advance!

I broke in my bike over two days, putting 300 miles a night after work so I can get to really riding it ASAP. 
My dealership told me the 600 mile service is around 390 dollars, which is actually more than what my Ducati cost, so I was very surprised that it was that much.

Besides cleaning and lubing the chain, checking tire pressures, checking the fluids, changing the oil, filter and drain gasket and looking over and washing the bike, what else can possibly drive this service to such a high sum?

I plan on doing the service myself, changing the oil and filter once more after 1000 miles, and since I did not find the answer on the forums, can anyone who has had this service completed please post a detailed list of what the dealership would be doing to the bike at this interval?

Thank you all in advance!

Your list is in the manual. You can do everything yourself the only thing that you may not beable to do is sync the throttle bodies unless yoy have the right tool.

If your bike is running like the day you bought it don't worry about throttle body synch. 600 mile check is easy.
I agree, as long as it idles and runs smooth, I plan on doing the throttle body sync when I change the spark plugs at 8,000 miles. I'll have the body work off then anyway.I'm betting the dealers don't do the sync anyway. Certainly not in an hour or so....Ty
'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

Bike was/is running great. Did a throttle body sync yesterday at 2200mi. mark. No adjustment was necessary. If running great probably not necessary. I felt it was good practice to open everything up and look around. Have a better understanding of things. I will be better prepared for future maintenance . I get faster every time I do.

• 3 weeks later...
Question for you: Do we need to keep the ECU computer connected while checking the Throttle body sync. Thanks jay

No. Just make sure it is fully warmed up (over 140*F) and idling in spec.
And remember to use the white paint marked adjuster as standard.

Skip

Archived