Short Ontario loop

Heavy

My wife and I finally finish taking the hay off our farm and it meant I was free to put some miles on my Tracer.  I have family in Cornwall, ON that I haven't seen in a long time and a friend, in Kingston, ON, who has been quite sick.  I put together a fun loop, loaded it onto my GPS, packed my bags and headed out.  I left on a Sunday morning and returned the following Friday.  Actually rode about 2-1/2 days with the rest of the time spent hanging out.  Trip ended up being about 1,500 kms total with the leg between Cornwall and Kingston ridden in downpours.  I'm out of practice with the motorcycle travel and found myself getting fixated on my destinations.  The end point focus meant I didn't stop to take many pictures.  Gotta work on that.  The bonus was that I managed to get home on my last day in time to have dinner with my wife on her first official day of retirement.

Ready to hit the road.

ready.thumb.jpg.c84f0d886233776e25e987a83859f881.jpg

Eastern entrance to Algonquin Park.  Day started cool (9ºC, 48ºF) but warned up nicely.

park.thumb.jpg.d1e758ded5fa6941e604bd4de3eeaa74.jpg

Stopped for a healthy lunch of poutine (🙄) in Barry's Bay and enjoyed the monument across the street, dedicated to the test pilot for the CF-105, AVRO Arrow.  https://zurakowskipark.ca/index.php

20230827_125149.jpg.b85cb827a14ce006ed36e5545d646508.jpg

Stooped for a break when the rain eased.

rain.thumb.jpg.cad8bb73017ecf7da1373f7964690c4f.jpg

My friend got a pic of me as I was leaving his cottage.  Gotta love the pumpkin turn signals.

go.jpg.3f9155adb08f4c77c61cb6bcc0590e7d.jpg

Nice loop with some fun roads.  I tried to stay off the main highways as much as I could.

loop.thumb.jpg.a9046ea02e679a3c388a893dc8fa93db.jpg

My wife, on the tractor, bringing in hay bales while I do some repairs to the barn roof.

farm.thumb.jpg.9d236efb20d07eb052a266f545ceed3c.jpg

Edited by Heavy
add
  • Thumbsup 3
  • Like 2

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

15 hours ago, piotrek said:

Nice loop. I will be through your neck of the woods next week for some more me-time... cooler weather is finally arriving.

Where are you heading?

Certainly more good roads for my dual-sport in this area.  Much fewer options for the Tracer close by.

• Supporting Member

Lake Temiskaming area (Cobalt, Haileybury, New Liskeard), then toward Timmins (via 566 or 560/144), west to Chapleau and 129 south. I will catch the Chi-Cheemaun ferry on way home. There may be some gravel... I will make it interesting.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

11 hours ago, piotrek said:

Lake Temiskaming area (Cobalt, Haileybury, New Liskeard), then toward Timmins (via 566 or 560/144), west to Chapleau and 129 south. I will catch the Chi-Cheemaun ferry on way home. There may be some gravel... I will make it interesting.

Good looking loop.  Are you planning on hotels or camping?  I'd like to explore up there on my dualsport.  Lots of lesser traveled gravel.

The motels are a good choice.  It's getting chilly overnight around here.  Only 8ºC this morning.

Let me know if you find any good places to stay.

Are you riding straight up HWY 11?  When are you passing through the Burks Falls area?

• Supporting Member

I am peeling away from 11 at 169 to play a bit. I will reconnect with 11 at 518 or 124. Both options will require that I get dirty as I hop north... so TBD based on how I feel/weather when I get to Orrville. I'd like to take Nipissing up to 124, but if it's in bad shape or weather turns nasty I will take 518 the rest of the way. If that happens, I should be at Burks Falls before noon on Tuesday.

Temps are indeed tanking. 13C daytime high in Timmins on Wed 😐. Hand guards and taller screen are going on this weekend. I have heated grips and jacket... all good. Warming up the following week LOL... go figure.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif