These cuppla minor things may assist/ be of interest to some

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
• To assist in removal of the fiddly black rubber ‘bung’ that has to be lifted up to release the catch for the rider’s perch I drilled a hole through the bung and inserted a zip-tie from the underside. Now it’s simply matter of tugging the tie upwards and – [em]bingo!
[/em]
• Topping-up the hard-to-access coolant reservoir is tricky – I had to find a short length of plastic tube. I’ll now carry that with me everywhere – it fits neatly under the pillion seat – as I’m sure I wouldn’t find such tubing if out on the road and needing to top-up.

Lawrence of Suburbia [em] (‘39 model)
Brisbane
Queensland
Australia

2015 Matte Grey Tracer – now at 1337 km
[/em]

• To assist in removal of the fiddly black rubber ‘bung’ that has to be lifted up to release the catch for the rider’s perch I drilled a hole through the bung and inserted a zip-tie from the underside. Now it’s simply matter of tugging the tie upwards and – [em]bingo! [/em]
• Topping-up the hard-to-access coolant reservoir is tricky – I had to find a short length of plastic tube. I’ll now carry that with me everywhere – it fits neatly under the pillion seat – as I’m sure I wouldn’t find such tubing if out on the road and needing to top-up.

Lawrence of Suburbia [em] (‘39 model)
Brisbane
Queensland
Australia

2015 Matte Grey Tracer – now at 1337 km
[/em]

The little rubber thing is easy to remove. You have to come at it from behind and underneath, behind the metal that holds it. Half your hand is hidden when you do it so it's not obvious. Just put your finger underneath the rubber thing and lift. Bingo! Pops right out.

As far as coolant I don't really have any good tricks for that. I do know the radiator cap is accessible if you take off the bottom right fairing. I wouldn't recommend taking the cap off hot unless you really know what you're doing. Hot liquid will likely spray. I've seen guys do it on cars hot but they knew what they were doing to protect themselves. I was just happy to see Yamaha put a cap on it. I've owned a couple cars now that don't have any cap at all and it has just caused problems.

• Premium Member
• To assist in removal of the fiddly black rubber ‘bung’ that has to be lifted up to release the catch for the rider’s perch I drilled a hole through the bung and inserted a zip-tie from the underside. Now it’s simply matter of tugging the tie upwards and – [em]bingo![/em][em] [/em]

The little rubber thing is easy to remove. You have to come at it from behind and underneath, behind the metal that holds it. Half your hand is hidden when you do it so it's not obvious. Just put your finger underneath the rubber thing and lift. Bingo! Pops right out. 

I put a fuse block in that gap underneath the seat latch, making it impossible to get underneath to remove the rubber block without moving the fuse block, and inconvenient even if you do.  So, I appreciate his tip although I think I'm more likely to use a bolt and ring than a zip tie when I get around to it.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

The Japanese have always taken precautions to make sure someone can't easily pick a lock or pull a cable and get access to your bike.

It's to prevent someone from reaching in there with a long instrument and undoing the latch.

-Skip

The Japanese have always taken precautions to make sure someone can't easily pick a lock or pull a cable and get access to your bike.  
It's to prevent someone from reaching in there with a long instrument and undoing the latch.

-Skip
Ya figure? I imagine that it is to keep metal tools from the kit from migrating into the battery area and causing a problem 
Coming to you from the frozen wastelands of the barren north

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia

-Skip
I gotta say - it's (the 'hook') complete overkill! 

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia

-Skip
I gotta say - it's (the 'hook') complete overkill!
Even an anorexic cockroach with the flexibility of a 13-yo Romanian gymnast and the dexterity of Houdini wouldn’t get be able to get to that hook with seat in place!   Anyway, I’ve simplified it!

L of S

Archived