New forum pal, Phoenix, AZ

emitrdetsaw

My wife and I bought 2 FJ's on the 29th of December.  No factory farkles as they are stupid expensive. 

Just to let everyone know, I took the bags off my '07 FJR and they fit right on.  Just need the lower stabilizers.  Start scouring the salvage yards for used FJR bags, kids.  Matte black would be an easy top color and the bags would blend right in.  $1K for a bag set is just...wrong.

OTD price was $12K per bike.  I didn't set any records for negotiation and I wasn't trying to.

By the way, the FJR is for sale.  So is our '92 TDM 850, the missus' 02 FZ1, a 96 Seca II, and an 85 V-Max.  We're downsizing a bit.

We're staying in tonight as I don't want to be out during Amateur Night.

Well, the band-aid has been ripped off of my collection. Twenty-one motorcycle sold to one person. About half of the bikes were restored or resto-mods, the remainder were in various stages of work, from totally apart to rollers to bikes in dry-build phase. I thought I was going to miss them, but it has actually been very liberating. No more mass tire inflation parties, no constant battery tender switching, no worries about varnish in the fuel systems. We are keeping the the FJ's and that is it. Just dusting the bikes off was a half-day committment.

My Cortech soft bags are not a good fit on the FJ as they tilt and droop severely inward at the bottom when hung on the bike. I may spend all my suddenly plentiful free time on fabbing some frames to keep the bags hanging straight. I might try aluminum and tube steel. Anyone else interested? I plan on making them bolt-on with no mods, aside from maybe removing the hard bag mounts from the bike.

A thousand dollars for a hard-bad system that won't fit a helmet? Indeed. Screw that.

Well, the band-aid has been ripped off of my collection. Twenty-one motorcycle sold to one person. We are keeping the the FJ's and that is it. Just dusting the bikes off was a half-day committment. 

A thousand dollars for a hard-bad system that won't fit a helmet? Indeed. Screw that.
For the luggage, go with FJR bags, can fit a helmet unless you have a very large helmet.

What are you going to do with all the extra room without all of the bikes?

I just sold an '07 FJR, and the Shoei Qwest did not fit in the bags. Just sayin'. I'm not a melon head so I was kind of disappointed.

All of the bikes I sold were sub 100cc two stroke street bikes of varying vintage. They didn't take up much space in the garage - then again, I had the bulk of them in a warehouse. The big bikes stayed in the garage. I was doing them all a disservice by letting them sit for long periods of time with no attention which was the impetus for selling. That they went to another collector was a bonus.

I love the bike so far. My wife at 5'7" is a bit short on inseam for the bike, but once she gets going she's fine. I have noticed a band of vibration at about 4k rpm that decreases at 4.6k. The A ride mode is not as bad as people make it out to be. Now that I have several heat cycles in the motor I am going to do my road-dyno break-in tomorrow. I'll post a report on how that goes.

BTW, the red ones are faster. My wife would not concur.

Archived