Kappa K40N side cases

• Premium Member
This is a review of the Kappa K40 side cases. They have a standard Monokey fitting system and are interchangeable with Givi Monokey systems. I have reviewed the K40 as a topbox here. The shenanigans with the Givi Monokey rails are detailed in this thread started by @brianwindmill - once the rails have been fitted with proper bolts in the upper positions rather than the quick release fittings, they are very secure. Link to K40 on Kappa site. Link to Ebay source in Italy

Today, I loaded the side cases using the Kappa TK755 inner bags - I got these as they are 7 litres smaller than the cases, so hold everything you need for an overnight stay but items like the tyre fix aerosol, drinks, spare gloves etc can be left loose in the pannier for easy access on the trip. These items can be left in the pannier on the bike overnight if desired. Link to Kappa site for the inner bags. Link to Ebay source in Italy for the bags. They do TK756 bags which are full size. 

These boxes are wide, but so are the bars and they stick out much the same distance. Care will be needed when filtering/lane splitting or in car parks with bollards. 

With about 6kg of stuff packed in each box (each inner bag stuffed with towels, jumpers & t shirts), they weigh around 10kg each in total. The bike carries this extra weight well. Once on the move, you hardly notice the extra weight. I didn't take the bike up to 3 figure speeds today but at an indicated 90mph on a country road the bike made good progress with no apparent effect on handling. Acceleration, even in a high gear is largely unaffected.

There are some picture below, some with the cases open. Once you get used to the latching mechanism it is easy to operate. You need to use the key each time which will annoy some but does mean you can't forget to lock them and they should not open on the road. The clamshell lids do not close with the precision of the Givi Exx series (I have an ancient E35 and less old E45 box). You need to apply a little pressure to ensure the halves mate. When they do mate the lids fit well and the boxes have the familiar Givi style "tongue & groove" system that provides a waterproof seal (I tested the seal in the shower with the expected good result). 

The panniers have a red reflector at the rear and a white one (using that blacked out material) on the front. The side has a silver, reflective logo panel. 

I think these cases will do a good job for my trips overseas, especially as I can use one of the boxes as a topbox for days out from a base hotel. I think the Givi Trekker or H&B Explorer top loaders would be more convenient as they can be opened even if you park against a wall or with another bike close by. A lot costlier, though and not really useable as a topbox. In a tight space you might need to detach the case from the bike before you can open it. This is a quick and easy action with the Monokey system, fortunately. 

The pictures:
2015-05-16%2012.33.10.jpg

2015-05-16%2012.33.21.jpg

2015-05-16%2012.33.33.jpg

2015-05-16%2012.33.59.jpg

2015-05-16%2012.34.34.jpg

2015-05-16%2012.35.45.jpg

IMAG0408.jpg

IMAG0401.jpg
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Great setup here wessie, Allmost wish I didn't order my Yamaha cases through then dealer. I love yhe fact it can be used as a top case. Is the link for the cases for a set or individual cases? Also are the racks the only thing you need, or do you need to buy that monokey system separate? If you don't mind my asking about what was the total cost?

• Premium Member
Great setup here wessie, Allmost wish I didn't order my Yamaha cases through then dealer. I love yhe fact it can be used as a top case. Is the link for the cases for a set or individual cases? Also are the racks the only thing you need, or do you need to buy that monokey system separate? If you don't mind my asking about what was the total cost?

The K40 cases come as a pair from outlet_ricambi - cost is £155 delivered to the UK (see their Ebay store for shipping to other areas). Due to the reflector positions they are side specific, although swapping the lenses would be easy I imagine, as the usually click into place.

The inner bags are available as a pair or individually. The link is for a pair £44 delivered to the UK

The Monokey system may be Kappa or Givi branded - the only difference is the label and model code. The system is modular. You can buy the topbox brackets and then attach the base plate you want - in this case an M5 Monokey base plate I already had from a previous bike. A base plate costs about £30 if you need to buy one. I got my kit from Italy link cost 49 euros. The rails for the side cases are a separate purchase and they have the Monokey 3 point mounting system. Bought from the same Italian dealer link for 152.50 euros. Prices include UK delivery.

So, total costs for the 2 case kit with inner bags is: 155+44+111=310 UK pounds - $488 USD
Add about £65 to fit the top case brackets and a monokey baseplate, so £375 or $590 USD
Currency conversions from xe.com and rounded up.

I already have a Givi E45 box to use as an everyday topbox, commuting, day trips etc. so the K40 boxes will be only used for longer trips but can be used as an everyday topbox too.

I quite liked the Hepco & Bekker system using their Xtreme top loading panniers but that kit was over £600 which was too rich for me - this is supposed to be a cheap bike!

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Thank you very much for the follow up on this, great option in my opinion.  I paid about $850 for my yamaha side stay and unpainted FJR bags through the dealer and still waiting.  I pulled the trigger on those after selling my old bike. Kind of wish I would have waited now.  I wouldn't be surprised if more people go this route, thanks for the response and write-up. 

• Premium Member
It's been raining all day so I'm not getting wet - I'll try some indoor shots but the lighting is not brilliant and the camera on my phone is a bit lacking in sensitivity.

Back in a while...

• Premium Member
Some pictures taken indoors as the heavens began to open just as I got the garage door open - seems the reflectors on the arms of my jacket are pretty good!

IMAG0409.jpg

IMAG0411.jpg

IMAG0412.jpg

IMAG0413.jpg

IMAG0414.jpg

IMAG0415.jpg

IMAG0417.jpg

IMAG0416.jpg

• Premium Member
would have posted ages ago but it seems my ISP, plusnet, is throttling dropbox uploads, the bastards. Switched to using my cellphone as a wifi hotspot and the pictures uploaded straight away

• Premium Member
I haven't washed the bike since riding it home on March 2nd - yesterday, someone asked me if I had been green laning in the Cambrian Mountains in Mid Wales

• Premium Member
Some pictures of the frames in the brighter weather. Yes, the bike is filthy. Someone asked if I had been green laning, on Sunday.

2015-05-19%2017.30.49.jpg

2015-05-19%2017.31.02.jpg

2015-05-19%2017.31.21.jpg

2015-05-19%2017.31.27.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
An update. After an 1800 mile trip to Burgundy & Alsace in France I can declare that this is a very good setup for the bike. I used the 2 K40 side cases and a Baglux Alpha tankbag. I left the E45 topbox at home.

There were no handling woes, even at an indicated 110 mph on the French Autoroute (speed limit is 110/130 but possibly not mph :) )

We stayed in 2 base hotels. One in each region for 3 nights. The ability to remove one case from the side and then reposition the other one in the topbox position was a great asset for daytrips into the mountains. With 80 litres of storage available I had more than enough space for 9 days away. There was even some spare capacity for a few souvenirs. I like the inner bags: I chose the 30 litre ones to give a space at the side for things like bottles of water, spare gloves, tyrefix aerosol etc.

With & without luggage:
2015-06-26%2014.59.31.jpg

• Premium Member
An update. After an 1800 mile trip to Burgundy & Alsace in France I can declare that this is a very good setup for the bike. I used the 2 K40 side cases and a Baglux Alpha tankbag. I left the E45 topbox at home. 
There were no handling woes, even at an indicated 110 mph on the French Autoroute (speed limit is 110/130 but possibly not mph :) )

We stayed in 2 base hotels. One in each region for 3 nights. The ability to remove one case from the side and then reposition the other one in the topbox position was a great asset for daytrips into the mountains. With 80 litres of storage available I had more than enough space for 9 days away. There was even some spare capacity for a few souvenirs. I like the inner bags: I chose the 30 litre ones to give a space at the side for things like bottles of water, spare gloves, tyrefix aerosol etc.

With & without luggage:
2015-06-26%2014.59.31.jpg
wow, the one on the right looks nice!

• Premium Member
Thanks Wessie!

I have to say I agree, I like the flexibility of your set-up. I used the Yamaha semi-hard side cases with a Givi V47 top box. This is a good combination and I had no stability issues, even at relatively high speeds. The Yamaha cases are quite small though. I used a combination of tank bag and Kriega US20 tail pack on day trips. For my next longer tour I might get something similar to Wessie's set-up and leave the top box at home. We rode some good mountain passes - the Route de Cretes which forms part of the Tour de France was a really nice road. I tested tyres and suspension on that road and I am happy with the bike as it is. I found the seat to be bearable but not comfortable on long trips. I used ear plugs and the screen worked fine, although I might try the Puig touring screen with adjustable spoiler - even though advertised nobody has it in stock yet.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
You'll have to wait until the weekend - the K40 cases are stored away - they only get an airing when I go on a long trip. I have the bike in commuter mode with a Givi E45 topbox fitted at the moment. This is fine for commuting and even a weekend away and allows easy filtering/lane splitting.

Photos as requested 

3932806.jpg  

Archived