Front brake lever slack

How the heck do I get the slack out. While you can adjust the lever closer to the grip the slack stays the same.

13mm at the end of the lever before the brake light switch and another 6-7mm to start working the brake.

• Premium Member
This is a pure guess, but would topping up the fluid level help?
No fluid is fine.

No, that is bad. blbl_zpsvi6inrfd.gif 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

there should be NO play in a front brake lever. Stop riding until an experienced tech can evaluate and fix it. You can hear a click sound when it activates the light circuit. brake action should be immedriate.

Correct there should be no slack, hence my question and the measurements in my first post.

Going in for 600 mile svc tomorrow. Already told the svc manager its really hard to trail break with that much slack!

I hear ya. I had to retrain myself to a certain degree in Arkansas last month. Engine braking is so strong that trail braking was impossible and not needed. I just kept the bike in 3rd gear and dialed in the speed needed with that throttle grip device.

All the play is normal for this bike. Mechanics & svc manager tell me I'm spoiled by my Ducati.

They did offer to drill the lever and put in an adjustment screw to take the play out of the brake lever.

I'll check other lever options first. If nothing comes up will probably let them fix it for me.

Well the owners manual agrees with Hotbot and myself - On pg 7-21 "There should be no free play at the brake lever end.

I'll have to correct the mechanics and svc manager next week.

In the interim I slipped a piece of fuel hose over the brake lever tab for the switch and I now have no free play and only a few mm before switch and then brake activation.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm experiencing a similar problem but a little but different.
When I start the bike in the morning I pull the lever a few times to build pressure, then about half way to work I'll touch the brake and nothing there. Pull the lever a few times then it's back...any ideas?

I'm experiencing a similar problem but a little but different. When I start the bike in the morning I pull the lever a few times to build pressure, then about half way to work I'll touch the brake and nothing there. Pull the lever a few times then it's back...any ideas?
Since bled, you shouldnt have to pump the breaks. I would check your reservoir to make sure its tight along with all of the lines. If that doesn't do it, get that checked out. Gl and stay safe, no breaks can be scary. 

No, seriously..you need to bleed the air out of your lines. Mine had a big slug of air in the right caliper from the factory. Then, compress the lever and put a zip tie over it and the handle bar overnight. Take it off the next morning and you should have solid brake lever feel.

Archived