2 Wheel DynoWorks ECU Flash Review

I had my ECU flashed by Nels at 2 Wheel DynoWorks (2wheeldynoworks.com) two days ago on my FJ, and the results are awesome! Throttle response in "A" mode is smooth as butter and you can really feel the increase in power, even with my stock exhaust. The steps/differences between all modes are the same, except now they are all very smooth and a lot easier to ride. The bike starts in "A" mode now too so I don't have to constantly change my mode when I start riding.

Strictly based off the dash computer, my MPG's have gone up 2-4 just ripping around town. They also said if I end up getting an exhaust, it's free to reflash the ECU for the new exhaust because the ECU is now unlocked and can be flashed multiple times. Awesome!

Has anyone else done this flash yet? (besides cruizin)

I have done the 2WheelDynoWorks flash and love it. I have seen a slight increase in fuel efficiency as well.

I said it before and I'll say it again, this is probably the best value performance mod you can do. Start with this first.
2015 FJ-09, 2016 1290 Super Duke, 2017 150 XC-W (primary ride), 2012 DR650

• 5 months later...
If you get the ECU flashed, the engine is damaged (i.e. hole melted through a piston from detonation), and the manufacturer examines the ECU and finds the flash, they may not honor the warranty. I have heard of this happening with modded turbo cars.

If you get the ECU flashed and the wheels fall off, the manufacturer may also not honor the warranty. But you could take them to court and probably get them to warranty it.

Magnusson-Moss act keeps the manufacturer from requiring consumers to buy their parts and service. It's not a blanket do anything and it will be warrantied. And in any case you need to go to court to get it enforced, which may be more hassle than its worth.

In the end you're taking a chance. If it does blow up your motor, you are probably on your own. Chances are small that it will do so- it's been tested by many FJ and FZ owners. But it's not zero. (there's also a small chance your 100% stock motor will grenade- manufacturing is not perfect).

I tuned my turbo car's ECU when it was still in warranty. It's now got 120k miles and runs great. I didn't get greedy with the A/F ratios or boost over the off the shelf map.

I'll probably get my FJ's ECU flashed once the motor is broken in and I decide if I'll go with 2wheel or buy the flash unit so I can play with it myself.

If you get the ECU flashed, the engine is damaged (i.e. hole melted through a piston from detonation), and the manufacturer examines the ECU and finds the flash, they may not honor the warranty. I have heard of this happening with modded turbo cars. 
If you get the ECU flashed and the wheels fall off, the manufacturer may also not honor the warranty. But you could take them to court and probably get them to warranty it.

Magnusson-Moss act keeps the manufacturer from requiring consumers to buy their parts and service. It's not a blanket do anything and it will be warrantied. And in any case you need to go to court to get it enforced, which may be more hassle than its worth.

In the end you're taking a chance. If it does blow up your motor, you are probably on your own. Chances are small that it will do so- it's been tested by many FJ and FZ owners. But it's not zero. (there's also a small chance your 100% stock motor will grenade- manufacturing is not perfect).

I tuned my turbo car's ECU when it was still in warranty. It's now got 120k miles and runs great. I didn't get greedy with the A/F ratios or boost over the off the shelf map.

I'll probably get my FJ's ECU flashed once the motor is broken in and I decide if I'll go with 2wheel or buy the flash unit so I can play with it myself.
Magnusson-Moss puts the burden of proof on the manufacturer to prove the mod caused the issue. Turbos add a lot of stress to an engine and would be easier to prove.  An ECU flash alone would be harder to prove actually caused an engine issue. 

Magnusson-Moss puts the burden of proof on the manufacturer to prove the mod caused the issue. Turbos add a lot of stress to an engine and would be easier to prove.  An ECU flash alone would be harder to prove actually caused an engine issue.
I've heard of warranty claims getting denied for ECU modifications on cars, but never on a bike. They usually don't care, or have the ability to tell its been modified, or even think to check. That being said, I know a bunch of local dealers actually take their bikes to 2 Wheel DynoWorks for tuning and will trust them in the tuning they do.

Besides, you can always buy a used or new ECU and pop it in.

Thanks for the info. My thinking is along the lines of do I flash when I buy the bike or wait the year and flash after the warranty.

I don't believe the ECU flash would damage my bike, just the chance to get Yamaha to cover their warranty. I am still undecided, but leaning towards waiting the year after purchase.

• 1 month later...
I took advantage of the Black Friday holiday special on 11-30. Sent ECU off this last Monday 01-04 and Pat from 2Wheel Dyno called this morning with flash details. USPS took four days to get there with me sending it Priority Mail from Central CA. Processed 12:03 on Monday and signed for @ 12:38 on Thursday. So the after holiday returns and shipping are still slowing things down. WAIT if you need your bike for commuting, unless you do Express or something faster then Priority Mail, though there is the possibility its just my area.

Review to be posted after reinstalling sometime next week. But I'm sure its just as good as everybody says it is.

Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

• 7 months later...
  • Premium Member
I have done the 2WheelDynoWorks flash and love it. I have seen a slight increase in fuel efficiency as well. 
I said it before and I'll say it again, this is probably the best value performance mod you can do. Start with this first.
+1 - best mod for the money

Archived