main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=53689&g2_serialNumber=2

A lot less grey hair then. :-/
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• 3 weeks later...
I have now demoed both the FJ-09 and the VFR and have decided I like the FJ better. I was already leaning toward the FJ just based on my research, but after riding both I am now sure of it.

I was surprised by the lack of torque on the VFR, it really doesn't like to be ridden slow in 5th or 6th gear. If you're in 6th and going anything slower than highway speeds and you give it gas, it will shudder as if you're lugging the engine. My GSXR600, if you pin the throttle in 6th even at only 50 km/h, it won't shudder, it won't accelerate hard in 6th but at least it's smooth. I would say the VFR feels no torquier at low rpm than my GSXR600, which was surprising because it has more cc and it's supposed to be a touring bike. The FJ-09 in contrast will pull hard even in 6th. I also didn't like the self-cancelling signals, they would cancel when I didn't want them to.

The only advantages the VFR has over the FJ are:
-runs on regular gas
-looks and sounds better (my opinion)
-better riding position (but that's just me, I'm used to a bent position coming from a 600, but I'm sure I'll get used to the upright position if I buy the FJ).

Now to find a good deal on an FJ...

Archived