First service June 23rd

I just called my local yamaha dealer that I bought the bike off of. They're booked until June 23. That's over 2 weeks away, and I just hit 600 miles. I talked to the lead tech at the shop. He told me I could keep running it, and also recommended going to 1k miles as its "what he likes to do with HIS bikes" He assured me I wouldn't need to worry about the Warranty if I kept running it as he "is the Warranty guy" and there's no language on the first service in the Warranty as far as voiding it.

So my options are, do it myself, eat an extra oil change and have them do the rest on the 23rd, or run it to 1k and have them do the service on the 23rd. I'm about a 6/10 on the mechanic scale, with instructions in can do just about anything, but thumbing through the book to make sure I do everything just right for the first service could prove tedious. This is only my second bike, I took care of everything on my first, but it was used. It was a brand spanking new FJ09. I don't want to screw anything up, no matter what route I take, but I also don't want it sitting in the garage for 18 days in the middle of June. Thoughts? I figured I'd just throw some fresh oil/filter in and do the chain and I should be good one the rest of the service bits for a few hundred more miles.

I ran into a similar issue and ran it up to 1000 miles. I'm no mechanic so I have no idea what effect that had. Shifting started to degrade the last 100 miles or so as bikes do with older oil and was happy to get the oil changed. I'm not going to worry about the warranty. I'm not sure they did much more than change the oil though other than the recall work they did on the same visit.

Changing the oil and filter is a Very simple job. I'd buy Yamaha oil and filters from Amazon just for warranty's sake (for the 1st year). Check that nothing's falling off of the bike. Then take the bike in for just a throttle body synch. Should be a good bit cheaper!

I changed my oil at about 650 myself and it looked great.  No metal shavings or anything.  With that being said, you can't go wrong with an extra oil change, and sure he'll say wait its not his bike.  If anything a $30 oil change is piece of mind.  The 600 mile is really about the oil change anyway.  A lot of people mention the throttle body sync, but look at the manual, it tells you to do this every service.  Others have stated theirs was running a bit odd and after the sync was fine, but most have had no issues and throttle bodies almost perfectly in sync.  I would consider 2 things.  Change the oil yourself, check all the bolts to be sure they are tight, lube what is required, and wait till 4k miles or next service to take it to the dealer.  Or eat the $30 and take it to the dealer a little later.  

I doubt you will get a warranty claim denied for doing your own oil change, I've never heard of such a thing.  Just mark down what you used, when, what mileage, etc and put it in your manual.  

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
I just called my local yamaha dealer that I bought the bike off of. They're booked until June 23. That's over 2 weeks away, and I just hit 600 miles. I talked to the lead tech at the shop. He told me I could keep running it, and also recommended going to 1k miles as its "what he likes to do with HIS bikes" He assured me I wouldn't need to worry about the Warranty if I kept running it as he "is the Warranty guy" and there's no language on the first service in the Warranty as far as voiding it.  
So my options are, do it myself, eat an extra oil change and have them do the rest on the 23rd, or run it to 1k and have them do the service on the 23rd. I'm about a 6/10 on the mechanic scale, with instructions in can do just about anything, but thumbing through the book to make sure I do everything just right for the first service could prove tedious. This is only my second bike, I took care of everything on my first, but it was used. It was a brand spanking new FJ09. I don't want to screw anything up, no matter what route I take, but I also don't want it sitting in the garage for 18 days in the middle of June. Thoughts? I figured I'd just throw some fresh oil/filter in and do the chain and I should be good one the rest of the service bits for a few hundred more miles.
Don't do anything yourself: the mech is right - unless you start to thrash the bike unreasonably the extra miles will do no harm.   But do check oil-level... and maybe chain-tension. FWIW...
L

Don't do anything yourself: the mech is right - unless you start to thrash the bike unreasonably the extra miles will do no harm.   But do check oil-level... and maybe chain-tension. FWIW...
L

Too late L! Oils changed, chains in spec and clean. I think I'm gonna play with my suspension a bit now, might as well while it's in the shop and my tools are out. I have a few words for the guy that put the oil filter on though...none of them kind.

Thats good to know, I'm getting the same song and dance from my dealer and oddly enough I have about the same amount of mileage on my bike. Now if I could get the dealer to call me back... I think once I get the 600 mile service done I'll be using a different dealer.

It's time we voted with our $$. Nothing says you have to go back to your original dealer. I sure didn't after mine demonstrated that they couldn't even straighten twisted forks. I'm totally fine with an individual mechanic; just make sure services are documented .  U.S. Dealers have demonstrated total incompetence in sales, looks like they're falling down in service as well. 
- I just went to a closer dealer to buy new gloves. I was totally ignored at the sales counter; took almost 30minutes just to Pay for gloves I had selected myself. Nobody acknowledged me. This is NOT the way to compete with Amazon!

Too late L! Oils changed, chains in spec and clean. I think I'm gonna play with my suspension a bit now, might as well while it's in the shop and my tools are out. I have a few words for the guy that put the oil filter on though...none of them kind.
I'm with you on this. I posted some pics in another thread. I had to use the screwdriver trick and my drain bolt came slightly rounded. Had to use a breaker bar to get it off. That is just stupidly tight, my engine bolts weren't as tight for my crash bars. 

I'm with you on this. I posted some pics in another thread. I had to use the screwdriver trick and my drain bolt came slightly rounded. Had to use a breaker bar to get it off. That is just stupidly tight, my engine bolts weren't as tight for my crash bars. 

Yea, I put a standard oil wrench on the filter(the metal ratchet gizmos) and it was on so tight that it started caving the walls of the oil filter in at the pressure point near the handle... That's stupidly tight. I had to have the Mrs hold the bike to get the drain plug out because I felt like I was going to pull the bike on top of me.

Oh well, it's done, the headache is over and she's ready to ride.

Archived