SW motec crash bars install.

mikengrace

• Premium Member
I just ordered a set of SW motec crash tubular crash bars. They appear pretty straight forward as far as installation goes. Any heads up or help ahead of time would be appreciated. 

I also ordered a second oem yamaha electrical plug in. I know these are supposed to be just a straight plug in install. Again, any heads up or warning to simplify the install would be nice. 
Mikengrace.
2015 Yamaha FJ-09. SWmoteck crash bars, OEM front and rear axle sliders, Second OEM electrical plug in, Garmin GPS and mount, Powerbronze lower chin fairing, accessory battery pig tail, Evotech radiator guard. Evotech clip on tank bag.
Fully farkled 2013 Kawasaki KLR650, to keep it company.

• Premium Member
I have those crash bars. They're drop-dead simple to install, it should only take a few minutes. The only irritating thing is that the torque spec for the engine bolts isn't listed in the SW-Motec installation instructions. I'll save you some time: You want 33 lb/ft or 45 N/m.

The instructions say something like "support the engine" during the installation process but I didn't do that, I just used the centerstand. Because of that instruction I was worried that the engine might move out of position if I removed too many bolts at once, so I only ever removed one at a time and inserted the new bolt through the crashbar and partially screwed it in, leaving it loose while I removed and replaced the other bolt. The theory was that if the engine shifted the loose bolt would support it until I could get everything together. This turned out to be unnecessary, the motor didn't move an iota. I would recommend only removing the bolts from one side at a time, though.

I don't know anything about the electrical plug, sorry, but I hope this helps.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

I have those crash bars. They're drop-dead simple to install, it should only take a few minutes. The only irritating thing is that the torque spec for the engine bolts isn't listed in the SW-Motec installation instructions. I'll save you some time: You want 33 lb/ft or 45 N/m. 
The instructions say something like "support the engine" during the installation process but I didn't do that, I just used the centerstand. Because of that instruction I was worried that the engine might move out of position if I removed too many bolts at once, so I only ever removed one at a time and inserted the new bolt through the crashbar and partially screwed it in, leaving it loose while I removed and replaced the other bolt. The theory was that if the engine shifted the loose bolt would support it until I could get everything together. This turned out to be unnecessary, the motor didn't move an iota. I would recommend only removing the bolts from one side at a time, though.

I don't know anything about the electrical plug, sorry, but I hope this helps.

I concur with this strategy. I've installed frame sliders quite a few times on various bikes and that can always be a problem, especially when you're removing multiple bolts on each side.

Do 1 at a time and hand thread them in each time so you know the bolt is all the way in. If the engine moves a bit its a giant PITA to get a floor jack and try to readjust the engine to get your bolt through.

I'm also interested in the power outlet install as well.

There are 2 different sized bolts and 3 different sized spacers.  I am impatient and didn't fully look at the instructions at first. Other than that, super simple and they look (and hopefully if ever needed, function) great.

• Premium Member
Thanks for the quick response to my question regarding the install of the SW motec crash bars. It sounds pretty straight forward. The suggestion to do one bolt at a time, to insure proper location, is a wise one and much appreciated. It sounds like you all feel these bars will do their job well and look good doing it. Now I am excited to get them. Should be a day or two. I will also post up about the Yamaha oem electrical plug, when I install it. 

Thanks for for the help guys. 

Mikengrace.
2015 Yamaha FJ-09. SWmoteck crash bars, OEM front and rear axle sliders, Second OEM electrical plug in, Garmin GPS and mount, Powerbronze lower chin fairing, accessory battery pig tail, Evotech radiator guard. Evotech clip on tank bag.

Dont forget to post a bunch of pictures, I'm really interested in these but there's not many good pictures out there.
Got any special requests? 
IMG_0582.jpg
Does this do it for you?

She's feeling sexy right now, so wiling to take requests, although might have to wait until tmmr as it will get dark soon and she's going under the covers.

• Premium Member
Dont forget to post a bunch of pictures, I'm really interested in these but there's not many good pictures out there.
I posted pics when I did mine: 
  http://fj-09.org/post/12008
  http://fj-09.org/post/13685

or there are these:

http://fj-09.org/post/13685
  http://fj-09.org/post/11314
  http://fj-09.org/post/9335 (lots of close-ups)
  http://fj-09.org/post/5894 (nice clean pics)

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
Thats pretty much what I wanted to see! Has anybody tried to put highway pegs on those bars for stretching legs??
Yup:

http://fj-09.org/post/14796

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
Completed the install today. Pretty straight forward. But, I would suggest reading the instructions and looking at the install diagrams, closely before starting. There are several different sized bolts and spacers involved. Getting them wrong could be easy and will put side ways stress on the mount. 

I like the the way the crash bars look once installed, and they look as if they would give good protection. They don't stand out or look out of place at all. 

I have an old set of add on foot pegs that would easily mount up to these bars. I don't think I will though because I almost never ride with my feet stretched out front like that, and I don't like the way they look. I'm sure there are others that would look and work well, if you really want them. 

Thanks to to whoever posted the torque specs for this install, as they are not listed in the instructions. 
Mikengrace.

• Premium Member
Thanks to to whoever posted the torque specs for this install, as they are not listed in the instructions. 
You're welcome.  Have to wonder why they omitted that.  Not everyone has a shop manual; I was lucky in that I had just purchased a downloadable copy a few days earlier. 
Enjoy the bars, hope you don't have to use them in earnest :-).  The day after I installed mine my foot slipped on sand on a corner and I got to give them a little test.  Was pretty glad I'd taken the time to install them; not a scratch on the bike, only on my pride.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
Glad to hear that you were not hurt in your slide. Sounds like you put the bars on just in time. How did the bars themselves hold up? 
Mikengrace.

• Premium Member
Glad to hear that you were not hurt in your slide. Sounds like you put the bars on just in time. How did the bars themselves hold up? 
Perfectly, barely a scratch on 'em even.  They're good kit.  You know they are as soon as you take them out of the box, they are dense.  They should be able to take quite a wallop, maybe more than the frame they're attached to. 
I had also put on Woodcraft engine and clutch case protectors which helped, too.  That kind of thing is good insurance since I have an unfortunate habit of low and zero speed tipovers just like that one, a consequence of having short legs and liking bikes that are a little too tall.

Next up I'll be mounting a GoPro on the crash bars, since I unexpectedly came into one and am hoping to get some nice low-angle shots.  I'll post pictures of however I manage to set up the mount once it's done.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Archived