Who is wearing a neck protector?

• Supporting Member

I came across a video on you-tube discussing all the ways we can damage our necks and our life by landing on our heads. How many of you wear a neck brace while riding on the road.

Pretty long video so jump ahead to the 9 minute mark if you want to see the testing...

Can a neck brace make a difference?

Less is more for me, my Aerostich gear is light and my helmet is carbon fiber. Riding a motorcycle is a gamble no matter how well you are geared up, but the least amount of weight or restriction I have......the better. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Timing on this thread is incredible. Combination of years at a desk job with questionable posture, and long sessions on the motorcycle, I've started developing some C8 nerve pain in neck and arm, with tingling in my 5th digit. Doctor gave me some steroids for and told me to get my posture sorted and incorporate neck exercises into my workouts.

In the meantime, I'll be wearing a soft collar around the house occasionally for some extra support until the neck muscles strengthen. But I was thinking about picking up a helmet support like the following: Adult Neck Brace | Motorcycle, Motocross, ATV, Skiing | Bohn Body Armor (bohnarmor.com), seems like it'd offer both comfort and safety in my case.

Might look a bit goofy, but that just means I need to pass people faster so they don't get a good glance 😄

But more on-topic: I think I'd definitely wear neck protection if I were riding hard in an off-road course with variable terrain that increases the odds of having lateral force applied to the head if I crash, or in racing an automobile where I'm strapped to the seat so any momentum keeps my head moving without my body. I think for motorcycling on roads or tracks I'd opt for an air bag solution rather than a neck brace, which might be a near purchase for me since the tech is becoming reasonably priced and simple to use.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, jthayer09 said:

....But I was thinking about picking up a helmet support like the following: Adult Neck Brace | Motorcycle, Motocross, ATV, Skiing | Bohn Body Armor (bohnarmor.com), seems like it'd offer both comfort and safety in my case.

What prompted this thread is that I was given some lightly used off road gear by a friend, who suggested I should be wearing a neck brace all the time. The neck brace I received is very like the one @jthayer09 linked above. Very tidy and unobtrusive. I am awaiting my AirBag Vest and Jeans from Mo'Cycle but could see wearing a light neck brace otherwise.

• Thumbsup 1