Zero Throttle Response

carpb202

Hey everyone! 

I've got a real head scratcher here that will probably mean me taking the FJ into the dealer for warranty work. Here's the breakdown:

Last night on the highway (~70 mph) I noticed the ABS light come on suddenly with no brakes being applied. It stayed on for a moment, then the engine started to die. Throttle position was the same, but engine sputtered and shook, and bike was lurching like crazy. Eventually, there was zero throttle response, the check engine light (plus the ABS light) came on. I was able to pull it over and put it in neutral. Once there, it revved absolutely fine. I put it back in 1st (revs fine with clutch pulled in) but as soon as I started moving, it was lurching and ABS/Check Engine light came back on again and no response. Was finally able to limp to a gas station and load it in my truck. What in the world could this be? Electrical? 

My first thought was fuel but it wouldn't be able to rev fine if there was gunk in the lines right? I just filled it up ~10 mins prior to this happening. And this only happens when the bike is moving.

I'm no mechanic but my pure speculative guess is fuel. It takes vastly different fuel demands to rev vs put an engine under load. It is entirely possible it could rev fine in neutral and not be able to produce enough power because of bad fuel.

I absolutely could be wrong. Hey, I'm an IT guy just guessing here. I'm curious if I'm right though. Keep us posted please.

Could it possibly be some fault with the wheel sensors, i am informed that Yamaha's Traction Control system works by retarding ignition timing, using cylinder misfires & adjusting the throttle, some manufacturers use one or the other but Yamaha apparently use all three.

Could it possibly be some fault with the wheel sensors, i am informed that Yamaha's Traction Control system works by retarding ignition timing, using cylinder misfires & adjusting the throttle, some manufacturers use one or the other but Yamaha apparently use all three.
Interesting point.  It'd be an interesting test to turn off traction control to see if it makes a difference.  I'd do it in a open parking lot or country road in case ABS goes wonky because of it.  I know the ABS light came on becuase of a wheel sensor issue when I brought home the bike.  I think I may change my pure speculative guess to this.  lol.

Interesting. So this would cause the lurches correct?

Interesting. So this would cause the lurches correct?
quite possibly.  Try turning off traction control.  I am very curious if that fixes it.

Wow, you guys are geniuses. Just took it out for a quick spin. Left TCS on to verify that it still messes up, and sure enough it does. Once I turned that sucker off though, it pepped right up and was back to normal. You're all awesome. I'll be bringing it back to the dealer to get that taken care of ASAP. Thanks again.

Good callout @offo
@carpb202 it should be a pretty simple fix. I'm guessing it's either a misaligned wheel speed sensor (best case since there's no part to order and therefore no part to be on backorder) possibly caused by a loose bolt or a bad sensor. Good news is it can still be ridden if you are willing to ride without TCS and ABS for a short time.

Good callout @offo @carpb202 it should be a pretty simple fix. I'm guessing it's either a misaligned wheel speed sensor (best case since there's no part to order and therefore no part to be on backorder) possibly caused by a loose bolt or a bad sensor. Good news is it can still be ridden if you are willing to ride without TCS and ABS for a short time.

Glad it helped find the problem, always good to give something back to the forum, hope it all get's sorted ok. 

Archived