Is there an issue using a Battery Tender for Winter Storage?

As far as winterizing and storing the bike, the owners manual makes no mention of utilizing a Battery Tender.  The manual only states to fully charge the battery, and then periodically recharge it. It is ok to use a Battery Tender with this particular battery, is it not?

• Premium Member
I use a battery tender on my bike, as I have done for all previous bikes over the past 25 years. I bought an Optimate 3 for my Tracer and don't see how its battery is any different from any other battery. There's no special charging or protection circuit on the bike as far as I can tell from the circuit diagrams in the workshop manual.

• Premium Member
the battery is an AGM battery - Absorbed Glass Mat so no liquid inside as the electrolyte is entirely held in the glass matting.

These batteries do not self discharge to the same extent as older type wet batteries, even in very cold temperatures. I have left a bike unused for 3 months and it has started when an AGM battery is used.

A battery tender won't do it any harm but I would only stick it on for 24 hours once a month. Unless you have an accessory such as an alarm drawing current.

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Archived