Who is riding this Labor Day?

• Premium Member
Meeting a few guys at the base of Little Tijunga (Osborne Street exit off the 210 fwy) at the 7/11 at 8:00am for places unknow. Will try out my new Flashtune flash fuel map.
So what rides do you guys have planned (reason I posted in general to get all responses, not just So. Cal).p3rry_zpsjpvxnqqr.gif

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Meeting a few guys at the base of Little Tijunga (Osborne Street exit off the 210 fwy) at the 7/11 at 8:00am for places unknow. Will try out my new Flashtune flash fuel map. So what rides do you guys have planned (reason I posted in general to get all responses, not just So. Cal).p3rry_zpsjpvxnqqr.gif

I'm not riding for Labor Day because I tore my plantar fascia a little over a week ago and I'm babying my foot ahead of a trip starting later this week.  I was crossing the street, of all things, when it popped although it was surely injured on a trip last spring because it had bothered me all summer.  I think it just took that point in time to give up the ghost. 
On Thursday I'm starting a six-day trip from Boston to north of Montreal and back again, swinging out through Vermont to the Adirondacks in New York on the way out and zig-zagging down through the Green Mountains in Vermont on the way back, with two full days in Canada with friends (at least one of which is a member of this board).  Presumably I'll be doing some riding in the mountains up in Canada too although I have no concrete plans.

I was amazed when I asked the doc if I'd be able to make the trip, which was just 13 days from the date of injury, and he said "I don't see why not as long as you're careful."  They NEVER tell me that.  It's always something like, "That's a little aggressive" or (I kid you not I got this once from an ortho) "Sure, I could use another wing on my house."

As he predicted, I was feeling way better in just a few days.  While I'm not walking normally yet it's close enough now that I'm not worried about it anymore.  In a way I'm glad it gave when it did; it would have sucked royally to let go while I was in the middle of a 1500+ mile trip.  It wasn't that much fun just riding the bike home from work the day it popped, a trip of only a few miles on an unloaded bike.  (Actually, the RIDING was fine.  It was the starting and stopping that hurt like hell.)

The doc says that after it heals the foot will probably feel a lot better in general.  The surgery for treating plantar fasciitis is to make an incision that is more or less the same as if it tore naturally.  Who knew?

This trip will be the inaugural tour for the Yamaha hard luggage and the Yamaha Comfort Seat.

So far I'm a bit mixed on the Yamaha luggage.  The two-layer shell design means that there's substantially less space in the bags than it looks like they should have from the outside, although it's still roomier than the Ortleib dry bags I used to use.  In addition, I bought luggage liners and have been disappointed at how hard it is to close the bags properly if the liners are in there, even if they're mostly empty.  The edges of the liners tend to get caught in the luggage lid, and the liners themselves eat up a bit of precious space.  For utility I think I would have been better served to get good ol' Givi, and quite a bit cheaper too, although I never liked the plumbers nightmare look of Givi mountings when the luggage isn't on the bike.

The new Comfort seat replaces the Seat Concepts reupholstering job that I tried earlier in the summer.  I liked most everything about the Seat Concepts except the shape.  Your mileage probably varies, but Yamaha's Comfort Seat has a much better shape according to my fat little butt, or at least that's what it has seemed over trips of up to a few hours.  We'll see what a nice 12 hour day feels like on Thursday.

I will be writing up a trip report when I get back, or possibly starting a trip thread as I go, although I'm not sure how much connectivity I'll have for most of the trip (not paying AT&T international data rates, that's for sure).

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
Running a 120-ish mile loop here tomorrow with a Duc and a Magna.
#riderdiversity #runwhatyabrung #takesallkinds
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• Premium Member

I'm not riding for Labor Day because I tore my plantar fascia a little over a week ago and I'm babying my foot ahead of a trip starting later this week.  I was crossing the street, of all things, when it popped although it was surely injured on a trip last spring because it had bothered me all summer.  I think it just took that point in time to give up the ghost. 

Nice Jim, hope your foot gets better soon.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Running a 120-ish mile loop here tomorrow with a Duc and a Magna. #riderdiversity #runwhatyabrung #takesallkinds
You might want to take it out of B mode when riding with those other bikes. super_zpsd4x7by7h.gif I have my ECU defaulted to A mode as that is all I run.

Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
For Labor Day, I'm thinking about making a loop from my home in northwest Tucson south and west to the town of Three Points, down through Arivaca, south again to River Road just north of Nogales, then northeast to Sonoita, and finally north again to Tucson. All Arizona towns. The road through Arivaca (called Arivaca Road, naturally) is pleasantly hilly and curvy - a lot of ranch land, a lot of Border Patrol. Freeway (Blech!) down to River Road outside Nogales, but the the curves pick up again on River Road, and continue along the road between Nogales and Sonoita - and the curves and hills keep going almost all the way north between Sonoita and Tucson - lots more ranch land after River Road ends on the Nogales/Sonoita highway.

I had originally been planning on continuing east from Sonoita towards Benson, Tombstone (yes, that Tombstone - The Earp brothers, the Clanton gang, Doc Holliday, and the Boot Hill cemetery) and Benson, but I believe that a stretch of the I-10 freeway between Benson and Tucson is closed for bridge repair, and the detour would make me backtrack to Sonoita again. Maybe later for that leg...
Don't follow. Don't lead. Don't join.

• Premium Member
Running a 120-ish mile loop here tomorrow with a Duc and a Magna. #riderdiversity #runwhatyabrung #takesallkinds
You might want to take it out of B mode when riding with those other bikes. super_zpsd4x7by7h.gif I have my ECU defaulted to A mode as that is all I run.

Oh I never ride in B unless it's pouring down rain.

I do LIVE my life in B-Mode though. ;):D
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

Archived