• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 33 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

New FJ-09 Last Week

wrhux

Pulled the trigger last week on a new red FJ-09, purchased with factory heated grips and factory side bags. Grips are coming, and should be installed in the next few weeks.
Traded in my 2013 CBR250Ra on the deal and felt like I did okay. Their generous trade value made it a decent deal.
In case you think the FJ is my second bike, actually I've been riding for 45 years, am a daily commuter in Seattle, and am returning to horsepower after a brief dalliance with little bikes.
Last five bikes:
ST1300 52K miles
DL650 25K miles
TW200 21K miles (yes, really)
CBR250RA
FJ-09

Just did a 1900 mile tour around Oregon on the CBR, knowing it was the last long ride.  I can tell you it's not the bike, it's the pilot. The CBR was a blast in the twisties!

http://www.davidpreston.biz/?p=859

Love the first 300miles on the FJ this week. Biggest power/weight ratio yet for me.  The last bike that pulled my arm sockets so much was the Suzuki Water Buffalo. Hmm.  That was also a triple, 750cc, but a wicked water-cooled two-stroke.  Lit that thing up a few times!

Pulled the trigger last week on a new red FJ-09, purchased with factory heated grips and factory side bags. Grips are coming, and should be installed in the next few weeks. Traded in my 2013 CBR250Ra on the deal and felt like I did okay. Their generous trade value made it a decent deal.
In case you think the FJ is my second bike, actually I've been riding for 45 years, am a daily commuter in Seattle, and am returning to horsepower after a brief dalliance with little bikes.
Last five bikes:
ST1300 52K miles
DL650 25K miles
TW200 21K miles (yes, really)
CBR250RA
FJ-09

Just did a 1900 mile tour around Oregon on the CBR, knowing it was the last long ride.  I can tell you it's not the bike, it's the pilot. The CBR was a blast in the twisties!

http://www.davidpreston.biz/?p=859

Love the first 300miles on the FJ this week. Biggest power/weight ratio yet for me.  The last bike that pulled my arm sockets so much was the Suzuki Water Buffalo. Hmm.  That was also a triple, 750cc, but a wicked water-cooled two-stroke.  Lit that thing up a few times!

Welcome! You will love the FJ-09. I was a CB rider in the 70's but had friends who rode the GT750. What a BEAST for the day! 
STUFF EVERYTHING - I'VE ALWAYS GOT MY BIKE!

• Premium Member
Grips are coming, and should be installed in the next few weeks.
Speaking from experience, don't count on the Yamaha grips showing up any time soon.  I ordered mine on April 1 and Yamaha didn't get them to my dealer until September 16 -- five and a half months -- even though the backorder date when ordered was the third week in April.  Yamaha kept providing the dealer with backorder dates that were a few weeks out every time I called to check.  A few weeks ago, a couple of days before they actually arrived, they were telling dealers they were backordered until December 18. 
The backorder dates are utterly useless as a predictor, Yamaha actually has no idea when the parts will be delivered to your dealer.  That proved to be the case not only for the grips but for the luggage and lower luggage mounts as well, whose original backorder date was three weeks out when originally ordered but they weren't delivered for nine and fifteen weeks, respectively.

My dealer complained:

Yamaha is kind of known for this with higher priced items. They yell at use for not selling their accessories but when we do they aren't available.

I would be happy to be wrong in your case, sometimes people have gotten lucky at finding a dealer who happens to have a set in stock and now that it's the end of the season perhaps demand will fall off, but plenty of other people here have had similar delays so don't be surprised if it happens.  Good luck!

Grip availability notwithstanding, I'm sure you'll love the bike.  It's a helluva ride, stupid fun and comfortable all at once.  I added a bunch of stuff to mine but the only thing I feel was truly necessary was replacing the windscreen, the stocker is just too noisy.  There are a bunch of threads here about that, but what I settled on after trying a few things was an Ermax sport screen with a Puig visor/deflector on top.

CBR250, eh?  That must have been loads of fun.  I love me a small bike too.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• 2 months later...
Grips came on time, they're marginal in temps below 40F, and the handguards allow cold thumbs. Yea the windscreen is crap, and thanks for the ermax suggestion. I'm up to about 2000 miles as a daily commuter, no long rides yet, but have a winter camp-out on the ocean planned for Presidents weekend.
Love the bike!

For you guys with 2016s, is the 115mph speed limiter still there? Any other changes for 2016?
2001 Honda Saber - sold
2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold
2005 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2007 Yamaha Vstar 1300 - sold
2008 Kawasaki Versys - sold
2009 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2010 Yamaha Raider - sold
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - sold
2014 Yamaha FJR - sold
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 - lemon back to dealer
2016 Yamaha FJ -09

Archived