• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 47 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Thinking about a FJ-09

chrisbryan

Hello! I'm new to the forum. I'm getting a new motorcycle before the end of the year. I thought I was going to get a FZ-09, but when I saw and sat on the FJ, I realized that is the better bike for me. I had a FZR600, I didn't like all the pressure on my wrists while riding so I sold it to get something newer and more comfortable. I then bought a Ducati ST2 which gave me the sport bike handling with some touring comforts. I eventually sold that as well. Now, I am looking to get into riding. I like the upright ergos on the FJ. I like the idea that I can store some things in the saddle bags. I did not like the fact that I was on the balls of my feet sitting on the seat. (I'm 5'10" with a 31" inseam) The seat felt very stiff just sitting on it a couple minutes in the dealership. I believe there are some seat height options, but not sure how much they would change the overall seat height. My wife would also want a back rest added to the pilon seat, so I would probably upgrade to a Corbin or something similar. What are the "must-do" upgrades that I would need to make? Any feedback on the saddlebags? Are they really usefull? 
Thanks

I am getting a new motorcycle before the end of the year. I thought I was going to get a FZ-09, but when I saw and sat on the FJ, I realized that is the better bike for me. I had a FZR600, I didn't like all the pressure on my wrists while riding so I sold it to get something newer and more comfortable. I then bought a Ducati ST2 which gave me the sport bike handling with some touring comforts. I eventually sold that as well. Now, I am looking to get into riding. I like the upright ergos on the FJ. I like the idea that I can store some things in the saddle bags. I did not like the fact that I was on the balls of my feet sitting on the seat. (I'm 5'10" with a 31" inseam) The seat felt very stiff just sitting on it a couple minutes in the dealership. I believe there are some seat height options, but not sure how much they would change the overall seat height. My wife would also want a back rest added to the pilon seat, so I would probably upgrade to a Corbin or something similar. What are the "must-do" upgrades that I would need to make? Any feedback on the saddlebags? Are they really usefull?

• Premium Member
Hello.

Saddle bags or panniers as we in the UK refer to them are a good option. Yamaha ones are okay but lots of other makes available. I went the Givi/Kappa route as I like them. I only use the panniers for longer tours but use a topbox/trunk on all rides as I can store my helmet in there when away from the bike and take my shopping home.

With a 31" inseam you should be bale to reach the ground. Maybe the bike seat was in the high position. I have a 31" leg and use the high position. Maybe the rear shock was set with high preload and softening it will make the bike squat a bit when you sit on it.

Lots of threads on her about modifications. Many are bling but some are functional such as improved windshield & heated grips. Browse the threads.

The FJ is a lot cheaper than its obvious rivals leaving cash to make some improvements. I've done 7000 miles now and don't plan changing bikes for some time.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

the best i found in seat comfort is airhawk 2 is the best for less then 100 $ and you can take it to the next bike of to the next football game etc....was better comfort then my sargent 680 $ ...out of the 7 riders on my last trip after 800 miles i was the only one with no baby powder next day or rushes ....

• Premium Member
Hello. 
Saddle bags or panniers as we in the UK refer to them are a good option. Yamaha ones are okay but lots of other makes available. I went the Givi/Kappa route as I like them.
I've run both the Yamaha luggage on the FJ and Givi luggage on other bikes.

Things I like about the Yamaha luggage:

- The mounts look decent even if the bags aren't on the bike.
- The luggage is *very* well constructed.
- Easy to work latch system with multiple latch points.  When they're closed, they're really closed.
- Nice retracting lid holder straps are convenient when opening the bags without removing them from the bike.
- Narrower than the handlebars so you can often lanesplit with them on.

Things I do not like:

- The luggage is double-walled, which while great for durability and weather resistance means that there is significantly less storage space than it looks like they have -- just 22L per bag!
- Complex internal shape means some of the luggage space isn't even as useful as it could be.
- Nice retracting lid holder straps take up an absurd amount of interior space.
- A bit finicky to get on and off the bike.
- Latch system very sensitive to anything being stuck in the clamshell.
- Bags have very specific orientation.  No way to use a side case as a top case, you'll have to buy a third.
- Expensive! *Everything* else is a *lot* cheaper.
- Yamaha might not be able to deliver luggage and lower mounts in a timely manner (fifteen weeks to get luggage and mounts to me!).

Things I liked about the Givis:

- Plenty of space.  I ran E360 bags, which weren't *quite* big enough to swallow a helmet, but you could put a pretty substantial amount of stuff in the pair.  Their simple internal shape means all that space is useful, too.
- Most models of side bags can also be used as top bags and swapped left to right.  I had a pair for long trips and just used one of those on top when commuting.
- Durable construction.  It's single-wall but very heavy plastic and withstood minor spills/slides rather well.
- Very easy to get on and off the bike.
- There's a pretty nice mount for the FJ-09: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-plr2122-rapid-release-side-case-racks-yamaha-fz-09-2015 (unfortunately this was not yet available when I was looking).
- Reasonably priced; a pair of panniers can be had for $500-600, versus $800 for Yamaha.
- Easy to obtain and replace.

Things I didn't like:

- Mounting systems either have a lot of visible pipework when the luggage isn't on the bike, or in the case of the Wingrack the whole unit is bulky and dominating.
- Mounting systems are often not very bike-specific, and when they aren't they can be a pain in the neck to install and look really bad.
- Mounting systems can add a lot to total price ($216 for PLR2122 versus $90 for Yamaha lower luggage mounts, much more for a Wingrack).
- Some of the Givi luggage models have rather finicky closures, where you have to reach under the handle and do awkward things to latch and unlatch it.  You get used to it, but it can be infuriating when you're tired and the damned *open* latch catches the lid the fifth time in a row.
- Only one latch for the whole bag.  Flexure can sometimes allow leaking.
- They're *wide*.  Don't even think about lanesplitting with the panniers on.

My call:

For shorter tours (less stuff!) and commuting the Yamaha luggage's smaller size and cleaner latch systems are nice.  If you're going to pull the panniers off a lot then the bike looks quite a bit better with Yamaha's system, too.

But if price is important or your goal is extended tours where luggage space is at a huge premium than the Givi luggage is a much better choice.  It's easy to get a Givi system for $700, a full $200 less than the Yamaha panniers and mounts.  36 liter panniers have a whopping 63% (!) more space than 22 even before you talk about the weird less-useful shape of the Yamaha luggage interior.  Packing for a weekend trip it's not that big a deal.  For a whole week, though....

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Hi Chris, I've merged your two posts here.

I would suggest that you test ride the bike to get a better feel of the height, if possible take your wife. I wasn't able to take a pillion on my test ride and made an almost fatal mistake of asking her to try sitting on the bike in the shop the following day. Just about every staff member decided to watch her, the mount was not elegant and she hated the bike as a result.
What sorted the problem was a top box (Givi), having it there has reassured her no end, many of them have a back rest so sorts that out for you.

• Premium Member
You asked for "must-do" add-ons. In my book, a top case is very nearly a "must-do", for the same reasons that @wessie pointed out: somewhere to stow your helmet when you get wherever you're going, and somewhere to put your stuff (purchases, laptop, extra layer, whatever). And many top cases come with "backrest" cushion options.

Where I live at least, the top case is ideal for everyday because it does not increase the width of the bike.

Advice on top cases: If you think you may eventually buy hard side cases as well, plan to get everything the same brand. This will help you avoid bracket woes, and ideally it will also allow you to key them together so that you won't have to carry around too many keys. I got Shad (SH-48 top and SH-36 sides) and I'm happy. I also have a soft seat bag I can add on. I do not seem to travel light...

Just as an FYI, you can key the Yamaha bags and trunk to the same key as the ignition key if you're willing to play with the tumblers a bit.  I had never done any work on locks before, and 1 youtube video later, and now my Yamaha bags, trunk and ignition all use the same key.

Archived