Yamaha Engine Guards

Bought a set of factory Yamaha Engine Guards from @jimf and installed them yesterday. Boy are they Ugly! Probably good for one Tip Over and then done. On a Low Side, I would expect them to be shredded. Definitely not worth the MSRP.WP_20151007_004_zpsmtfld4xu.jpg~originalWP_20151007_005_zps5e49j4eq.jpg~originalWP_20151007_007_zpsxceejgyo.jpg~originalWP_20151007_008_zpsxstiswzo.jpg~original
STUFF EVERYTHING - I'VE ALWAYS GOT MY BIKE!

• Premium Member
Since I never put them on the bike I didn't even consider how they looked. They looked decent on the Yamaha website. :-/

I mentioned elsewhere on this site that I was worried about the fact that they were plastic. I have a friend who's a plastics engineer who says that looks are deceiving, they are probably a lot more durable than they appear to be. I didn't think they were worth anything like the ~$250 that Yamaha charges for them, though, and couldn't in good conscience sell them to someone else at that price. Yamaha ought to sell them for more like the price I offered them, $100. That's not an unreasonable price for mostly plastic tipover protection.  They're priced competitively with racer bits which they most definitely are not.

The one place they're likely to be much better than, say, the Woodcraft protectors I decided to use instead is that they have rubber bumpers behind them that will absorb a lot of impact rather than passing it through to e.g. the stator or clutch case as a solid aluminum protector would. So while they will perhaps die in any kind of serious impact, they may do so while absorbing significant damage.

I liked the Woodcraft protectors a lot more, but then again they were substantially more expensive -- $152 for the stator protector and $180 for the clutch cover from revzilla (plus shipping).  But they do look good and are clearly durable:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=90400&g2_serialNumber=1

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Since I never put them on the bike I didn't even consider how they looked. They looked decent on the Yamaha website. :-/ 

I liked the Woodcraft protectors a lot more, but then again they were substantially more expensive -- $152 for the stator protector and $180 for the clutch cover from revzilla (plus shipping).  But they do look good and are clearly durable:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=90400&g2_serialNumber=1

Agree. They look better on the web site than in real life and definitely don't look like motorcycle OEM equipment.  However, since they are now installed, they will stay there until upgraded at a later date.  The Woodcraft guards look good! Next priority is a new screen. 

• Premium Member
Next priority is a new screen.

IMO a new screen is by far the best upgrade to the bike. The stock one is just unbelievably noisy.

I tried both the sport and touring Ermax screens. Both were much better than stock, although still moderately noisy. I then tossed on a Puig visor. That ended up being a good solution with both screens, but I prefer the sport screen plus visor because it is well out of my line of sight. It's excellent at backroads speeds (very little noise, no buffeting) and reasonably good at full highway speeds (some buffeting, but not bad).

I may swap the touring screen back as we get deeper into fall, for increased coverage.

Having said that, there are a bunch of screens out there and some of them (CalSci in particular) are said to work well without needing the extra visor. I think that the CalSci interferes with the stock handguards at full steering lock, though. My understanding is that you can swap handguards for lower profile units to avoid this, and that KTM has one that fits perfectly which actually works better at being a handguard too.

If there's any one thing I expect Yamaha to change in the next couple of years it's the windscreen.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Next priority is a new screen.IMO a new screen is by far the best upgrade to the bike. The stock one is just unbelievably noisy. 
I tried both the sport and touring Ermax screens. Both were much better than stock, although still moderately noisy.

Ordered a Gray Ermax Sport screen from @motomachines. Must be a popular item, as it is on back order. Every other color is available! 

Bought a set of factory Yamaha Engine Guards from @jimf and installed them yesterday. Boy are they Ugly! Probably good for one Tip Over and then done. On a Low Side, I would expect them to be shredded. Definitely not worth the MSRP.
Yikes, those cost more than the Hepco & Becker steel tubing guards which have a similar crash pad included.  
I guess that's the price of staying with OEM parts?

Archived