Yet another new guy.

csi

I currently own a 2014 FJR, having come from a 2012 Wing.  I am (so far) loving the FJR.

My son has an 09 V-Star 1100 Custom.....1st thing we noticed when riding, is how easily the V-Star would drag parts.  We were able to partially solve that issue by lengthening the fork spacers by 1.5 inches.....it helped a lot, but it still won't get over very far before he is in danger of hitting hard parts.

After a weekend of riding the twisties of NW Arkansas a few days ago, he decided he wanted to start looking for a new ride.   He did his research, and has decided that an FJ09 is in his future. 

My primary reason for joining here is to learn about the bike.....strength's and weaknesses (if there are any) and to discover what current owners are doing to personalize their rides.

He won't be looking to purchase unti spring time...hopefully by then, the dealers will be offering incentives to move the previous years models off of the showroom floor.

Hi csi
I'm somewhat new here myself having only just got my new MT-09 Tracer or FJ-09 as they are known.
I did a fair bit of homework before committing, riding several bikes and studying several forums before deciding on the Yamaha. My first choice was the Kawasaki Versys but being short in the legs meant I couldn't ride one without the nagging thought that I couldn't get a foot down properly. having said that, I'm more than happy with my purchase and the support I've had from the dealer.
As for personalizing (farkling), mine came with the factory panniers (worth every penny just get your dealer or locksmith to re-key them to suit your ignition key) and I have added a Shad, SH40, 40ltr topbox on a redrilled Givi mount. I also have the factory heated grips, extra accessory plug and aftermarket radiator guard and crash knobs coming. Today's job is mounting my GPS now I have just finished fitting a Scottoiler.
Hope this forum is as helpful for you as it was for me.

csi: No worries about the FJ. I too own a FJR, actually 2-05s, with one a donor bike for the other. I have logged over 230,000 miles on the FJRs and this year put 24,400 on my new FJ. They are different and neither is better than the other. Both are Yamaha's and that is very good. Now about the cost you might save. Not worth the wait. Make an offer you can live with and get that new FJ as soon as possible. You will not regret it.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Archived