two up with luggage. honest opinions please!

Hi all. I'm after my first proper bike, after a w125x. My riding would consist mostly commuting/spirited riding and around three or four jaunts out around europe a year with the missus. I'm a big guy, 6'1 ish, 17 stone/110kg/220lbs with gear and my other half is about 5'6, 60 ish kgs.

I want a bike that's fairly practical but still fun, ideally I'd like a multistrada but I can't be doing with trying to get to work at 5am because it wont start so that's out. I also really like the Aprilia caponord, but again, it's italian and there's only one dealer around me and even he thinks the support from the factory is rather lacking, so thats out too. Things like the versys 1000 and bmw gs just seem a bit 'old man' for me. i'm sure they're good bikes and all but still, i'm only 33! So realistically, I've narrowed it down the the Triumph Tiger 800 XCX and the Yam. I have no intention of going off road, just that the XCX has the better suspension than the road version, but i'm not sure i'd trust the 21inch tubed front wheel that much. I had a few moments on the wr when the front tire felt a bit 'saggy', for want of a better word, when pushing it hard into a corner. not sure how that'd feel on the Tiger being over twice the weight.

So back to the Tracer/fj-09. I really like it. infact it was the first bike i thought of when my missus gave me the green light to get a new bike :D. The only issue(s) i have with it are the suspension being rather basic, plus the seat, but they're fairly cheap fixes, the main point i'm concerned about is the max payload it can take and if it's really suitable for two up touring as mine and the wifes weight is nearly the max reccomended by yamaha, without any luggage.  I'm fine for packing light, but my wife on the other hand... ::)

Basically i'm asking if people have toured, two up, with loaded side and top cases and if the bike has struggled at all to the point of feeling dangerous or just plain crap.
I realise no bike can do it all, and that there are better bikes for dedicated touring, it's just that i still want a bit of fun when i take the luggage off.

Cheers.

Russ.

Hi Russtyruss,
well I have done a lot of two up riding with my partner ,I am the same height as you around 100kg,my partner is about 5'11 70 kg plus I have factory hard luggage ,just the other month we did a 3 day 880km trip and found the bike to be ideal no issues with stability or for that matter comfort my partner was over the moon with the comfort and protection offered.All I have done is put all the setting up to max preload ,spring rate etc .Fuel economy is great and IMO the seat and screen are fine although I recommend that you both use ear plugs standard.
I have just clocked 11,000km and am more than happy with the bike . :)

• Premium Member
The bike will cope with the weight and there is more than enough grunt in the engine even if you decide to tackle some Alpine passes.

It all comes down to how you fit the ergonomics. At the very least, go sit on the bike with your touring gear on. If you can, sit on a bike with luggage fitted as this can affect the pillion especially. Better, would be to take an extended test ride.

I mostly ride solo and the bike suits me very well. I think if I was riding regularly with a pillion then I would be tempted to buy something with a bit more room, but I'm 20 years older than you and probably have less flexible joints.

I have Givi/Kappa luggage fitted to my bike. I'm assuming you are in the UK, so if you are anywhere near Cheltenham you are welcome to sit on my bike with the luggage fitted. Skellerns, my local Yamaha dealer is only a mile away so I could meet you there: they had a Tracer demo bike, not sure if they still have it on the road now as I was given a standard MT09 as a loan bike last month when I had a service done. I'm sure they will be putting one of the 2016 bikes on the road in the next few months.

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

My maxed out (i.e. if you want to bring that, you'll have to leave something else at home) two-up touring kit includes the Yamaha "Tour" 16-22L tank bag (I don't recommend this bag, get a Givi Tanklock instead), a generic 15L tail bag (strapped on the luggage rack), and two 21-23L Hepco and Becker C-bow "Street" soft saddle bags. Much of my gear is either electronics or related to on the bike needs. Bulk increases exponentially as the daily temperature differential expands and the likely hood of inclement weather increases.

My passenger packs light though (unless it's cold). She hand washes her clothes in hotel sinks/bathtubs so she only brings a few changes of clothes even for extended trips. We also take advantage of the fact that most toiletries are provided at hotels for free here. She's also Japanese so she's a bit over 5 foot and petite (she'd kill me if I asked how much she weighed, but it's not much). I'm around 6 foot and weigh in the neighborhood of 75kg. So, our two-up weight isn't anything close to yours but fully loaded I feel more planted with the preload maxed.

If you go with the bike, I'd suggest getting the suspension tuned to your touring weight, and budget for seat upgrades. Really though, I've had to do that even with sports-touring focused bikes I've owned. Getting the suspension right is pretty critical though.

Thanks for your replies! I reckon the tracer is the bike for me, I had a little test ride today on one back to back with the tiger 800 xrx and the tiger just seemed agricultural in comparison. the tracer felt surprsingly nimble at low speeds. I have to wait until next weekend for my wife to be able to come along for a test ride with me but I reckon it'll be all good.

I find the bike excellent 2 up once the rear preload is maxed. Our combined weight is probably 130kg without luggage. I'd definitely try it with the missus but I didn't find it lacking in power at all. I found the tiger 800 a bit lacklustre in comparison.
We've travelled with panniers & top box and that doesn't make much difference.
I think a lot of the niggles are personal and can be fixed easily - things like screen & seat.

Make sure you have the dealer max the preload otherwise you'll probably find it a bit squishy

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
I ride in a very similar configuration as @2whltuner and have nothing but good things to say about the bike and how it performs.
I will say that the bags are a bit small for longer trips with two, when riding alone for 4 days I was completely packed.

Split the posts. The post referred to above is now here
-Steve

Hi well I can say the 880kms I covered were well within the capabilities or the bike my partner is 75kg me 107 kg plus luggage the bike is awsome we cruised @ 125km and through out the trip had no problem riding in std mode this bike is fantastic and provided you don't push it further than 90% max ability you will have no problems just to recap l set everything to max front and back I ride it almost all the time 1 up and haven't changed setting it does fine all round for me IMHO hopes this helps
Had no worries about the bike at all go for it you won't be disappointed ☺

If I had the money I would have considered the BMW. There are so many of them on the road partly because of the status thing but mostly because they are excellent. That said, I am at least 3 days older than you (happy birthday me), so maybe it's an age thing...
FWIW I had a solo 2700 mile tour of Europe this year on my faster Race Blu; stock seat, new screen (Givi) and suspension setup just right for myself - loved every single mile!
I'm 6'7" and 14 stone.

i think it depends on how big you are. A nice Givi top box with a backrest will make the rear pretty ok. A suspension upgrade will take care of the ride. The engine, well, that will take care of itself :)

I'm about 200 lbs and my wife is north of 170 and we can ride with gear. I have added a Seat Comfort seat and new suspension tho....
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
i think it depends on how big you are. A nice Givi top box with a backrest will make the rear pretty ok. A suspension upgrade will take care of the ride. The engine, well, that will take care of itself :) 
I'm about 200 lbs and my wife is north of 170 and we can ride with gear. I have added a Seat Comfort seat and new suspension tho....
I'm reminded of a couple I met some years back who rode a Honda VFR750.  He was close to 300lbs and she was @200lbs.  They rode all over the country on their VFR.  I spoke with him and found that they had been riding this bike for several years without any problems.  They had the stock suspension maxed out and had increased the bike's tire pressures.  They also pulled a small one wheel trailer with their gear in it.  No question they were over the recommended weight limits but...

Archived