Security

Just got my tracer. Lovely bike. I was just wondering what people do about locks. A lot of the time I don't have any luggage (maybe a back pack) and I think a disc lock will fit under the seat. However it is nice to chain your bike up and I don't want to put a heavy chain in a back pack. Does anyone know of a secure chain that will fit in the tiny space under the seat? (I could then put a disclock in my back pack instead rather than a heavy chain). Thanks.

• Premium Member
For a chain to be any use it needs to be of a decent grade - I don't think one substantial enough will fit under the seat.

I have an Oxford Monster chain that I have stopped using. It came with a bag that clips to the pillion seat/luggage rack. I see their newer chains do not come with the bag. Probably available as an accessory. I just found it too much of a faff to use.

Currently I have a Xena disk lock alarm which does fit under the seat http://www.xenasecurity.com/disc-lock-alarms/ - the important thing is that I use it plus the alarm stops me riding off with it fitted as well as deterring tieves.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Thanks! I think I have seen your name crop up on the uk forum?
I agree, had another look today. Disk lock is fine, will either go with xena or abus. Tried my Oxford lock today but not enough room. However, if you removed the plastic divider (keeps some wires in place and makes a space for tool kit) I reckon you could get a chain lock in at a push. I'm a bit reluctant to remove it though!
So disk lock +/- bike trac then take a chain in ruck sack when bike unattended for longer periods but lockable to ground.

Next issue windshields. Looks like small power bronze for summer and givi for winter. Although keeping an eye on the new givi that looks a bit like stock but it with flared edges. One guy on here is waiting for it to be delivered and will review.

Sorry went off on a tangent! Thanks for your advice and help!

• Premium Member
Loads of people have removed that divider, including me. I have a few items stashed under the seat - toolkit, moved from stock location, cargo net for impulse purchases, spare clutch cable to assuage anxiety, Xena if it's not in the topbox and the RAC card. Just make sure you leave that rubber block in place to stop anything moving forward and releasing the ejector seat.

My internet footprint is huge. I have a presence since the late 90s on Usenet in uk.rec.motorcycles - an unmoderated bulletin board thing, text only and very robust piss taking that would get censored on here. You'll see my posts in half a dozen forums - some I still contribute to despite not owning a bike of that marque for some years. Largely because I have made many friends in real life from first contact on the internet. So much so, that 12 of us are off to France next June, most from the UK but one from Ireland and another from California.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Largely because I have made many friends in real life from first contact on the internet. So much so, that 12 of us are off to France next June, most from the UK but one from Ireland and another from California.
I have too. First contact on the internet, next contact at one of the nine different yearly weekend events I've attended over the last 20 years. I attend 3 - 5 of those events in any given year. 
I posted about one of those events, the Canadian Assault, here on the FJ-09 forum. I was surprised that there was zero interest here on the forum (one forum member attended, but I've known him for more than 10 years....)
FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

• Premium Member
Largely because I have made many friends in real life from first contact on the internet. So much so, that 12 of us are off to France next June, most from the UK but one from Ireland and another from California.
I have too. First contact on the internet, next contact at one of the nine different yearly weekend events I've attended over the last 20 years. I attend 3 - 5 of those events in any given year. 
I posted about one of those events, the Canadian Assault, here on the FJ-09 forum. I was surprised that there was zero interest here on the forum (one forum member attended, but I've known him for more than 10 years....)
As ages go up, fewer people are attending weekend events - the regular meeting in Spring & late summer organised by UKRM members from the mid 90s fizzled out about 5 years ago. This involved camping in the beer garden of a pub in the Peak District of England.  
Same with those Sunday rides to a burger van near a tourist spot. I'm often on my own nowadays.

I have no shortage of people signing up for a week away in France, staying in decent hotels and eating in decent restaurants. People, incluing me, like their creature comforts after a day riding the bike. 

I go to some of the advrider events here in the North West. I find there is almost always a good group but I dont like large rides, they tend to slow me down or push me past my safety limit so I mostly ride with a friend or 3 and I usually ride rabbit as I know some amazing rides out here.

Would love to ride Europe, but i just a poor man. MOstly as Im paying off three bikes :)
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
I go to some of the advrider events here in the North West. I find there is almost always a good group but I dont like large rides, they tend to slow me down or push me past my safety limit so I mostly ride with a friend or 3 and I usually ride rabbit as I know some amazing rides out here.  
Would love to ride Europe, but i just a poor man. MOstly as Im paying off three bikes :)
I don't like large group rides either - with the French trips I organise I just research & book the hotels making no money from the deal. We often set off at the same time but we all know the destination and tend to separate out into smaller groups, or some like to plod along on their own. This makes fuel, coffee and fag (look up the British definition) breaks more manageable. I like to separate the riding from the social part of the trip - even then, we may split into smaller groups in the evening as we have different tastes in food & drink. No rules, just a convivial atmosphere with nobody expecting to be mollycoddled like you get with commercial trips. 

The weekend events I attend are not group rides. You see the other attendees at breakfast, then late afternoon evening. Some of them ride together, 2's, 3's, 4's. Small events, 25 - 50 people. Various ages, bikes, gender. 
FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

Archived