Smashed tracer/fj

• Premium Member
I don't know what happened here but the tracer was destroyed.
Weird, I wonder if that swing arm failed or separated causing the crash? There is a noise, maybe the engine over speeding and he seemed to lose control. 

Rider error.
The rider describes it in the comments on youtube:
"Azotomix:
 I just could not brake (unknown reason) and did not react in the proper way to avoid the crash. Instead of pulling down the motorbike and do the turn I stood straight looking just in the direction I was crashing. Bike and myself flew and roll for about 10 mt and land where the big tree is (you see it just before the video stop)."

The rider describes, perfectly, what is known as "target fixation". I've learned, literally, to ride by following my nose. Always keep your head and eyes pointed in the direction you wish to travel. I've been the victim of target fixation on more than a few occasions, and luckily I was able to quickly react and push the bike down thereby successfully negotiating the turn.

Modern bikes, for the most part, are much more capable than most of us give them credit for. And it's the rare rider indeed who can exceed the bike's capabilities. This statement excludes bikes like cruisers, choppers, and such because they've been crippled by using systems and setups (brakes, tires, suspensions, etc.) that were never meant to allow for very spirited riding.
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

• Premium Member
Rider error. The rider describes it in the comments on youtube:
"Azotomix:
 I just could not brake (unknown reason) and did not react in the proper way to avoid the crash. Instead of pulling down the motorbike and do the turn I stood straight looking just in the direction I was crashing. Bike and myself flew and roll for about 10 mt and land where the big tree is (you see it just before the video stop)."

Classic. I did a bike-safe course with the police and one of the riders did exactly that. There was a strange noise, but perhaps the sound file got corrupted.

Archived