FJ woes continue. UBER drivers strike again!

com3

so, about two weeks ago, while riding in san francisco with an aussie journailst i was showing around, i had an audi A4 estate pull out in front of me from my right, making a left turn, and i couldn't avoid her.  

she was driving for Uber.  

i slowed from about 20mph to about 10mph while swerving left to avoid, and my front tire lost grip on the cable car tracks. my bars turned to lock while i was still upright trying to get turned/slowed until i plowed into her driver side front quarter panel. the might fj did a full on stoppie before i pulled the pins and hit the eject button, trying not to let my bike flip over.  i ninja'd over my windshield, and over the hood of her car, and landed on my feet yelling out a long string of bad words.

anyhow....not too long ago, i installed the Givi crash bars.  the left side faired pretty good, i'd say!  it defintely bent the engine guard. my stator cover did take a bit of a hit.  left handguard took some rash. blinker has some rash. side bag has rash.  given that i hit her car at full left turn lock and i hit her at damn near 90 degrees, my forks/bars are twisted.  methinks the damage would have been significantly worse without the givis.

here's a few pics.

this was the spot.  the white audi is backing away from the accident and into a parking spot.

20160126_115546-XL.jpg

after inspecting it today, for the first time... 

20160206_161444-XL.jpg

20160206_161457-XL.jpg

the stator and stuff

20160206_161506-XL.jpg

the crash bar mount is BENT, yo!

20160206_161555-XL.jpg

Com3, this is a bummer, but it sounds to me that it could have been much worse and i am glad it didn't.

Based on your unfortunate experience, would you recommend the Givi crash bars? I would also be interested in finding out if you contacted GIVI asking whether it would be possible to sell you only the LHS bar since the RHS was ok.

Com3, this is a bummer, but it sounds to me that it could have been much worse and i am glad it didn't. 
Based on your unfortunate experience, would you recommend the Givi crash bars? I would also be interested in finding out if you contacted GIVI asking whether it would be possible to sell you only the LHS bar since the RHS was ok.

i'm letting UBER insurance foot the bill on this one.  and the bars only come as a set.  

seeing as how much they bent in what would probably be a zero mph slam to the ground (as the bike didn't hit the ground until after i'd already hit the car, and it felt as tho the rear tire was about a foot off the ground at it's highest point)...i'm not sure i'd recommend them.  in a slide, they'll likely deform.  i dunno.  it's always hit or miss with frame sliders and the likes. sometimes they do more damage than if there were none...sometimes they really save your ass.  

i'm defintely surprised by how much the upper mount bent tho in this.

also, my forks are bent. confirmed today after loosening up the triples and trying to realign everything then test riding...  

Ooof - really glad you are ok. As for the bars, i agree completely. There are horror stories out there with bent frames due to crash bars. So i suppose there needs to be a trade off .. Thanks for the info, stay safe and hopefully you will be riding ur bike very soon!

Archived