• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Alaska here I come...

Rode the Dalton hwy up well past the Arctic Circle a couple years ago.  It was during late Sept.  Did run into some snow, but the worst thing was the wind.  I don't know what speed it was blowing, but several times I was almost  blown off the road.  If you go that late in the year, please be aware of the wind.  When you go, stop and take pictures of the "finger rocks", they are really cool.

That is a 7,000 mile round trip. It is one hell of an adventure but are you sure the FJ is the right the bike for it? I would seriously consider adding suspension upgrades to your planning. One option with tyres would be to change from normal road to rough road tyres somewhere around Whitehorse, and change back again on your way back down.  You could switch from Bridgestone T30's to something like Avon Trailriders and back. They wont get you down a proper off road dirt trail but they will handle roads that are less then the best better then regular ST tyres.

• Premium Member
That is a 7,000 mile round trip. It is one hell of an adventure but are you sure the FJ is the right the bike for it? I would seriously consider adding suspension upgrades to your planning. One option with tyres would be to change from normal road to rough road tyres somewhere around Whitehorse, and change back again on your way back down.  You could switch from Bridgestone T30's to something like Avon Trailriders and back. They wont get you down a proper off road dirt trail but they will handle roads that are less then the best better then regular ST tyres.
I'm thinking the FJ will do just fine!  My other option would be my '93 ST1100, which is much heavier and would be more difficult in some of the potential "nasty" conditions (though I have followed bulldozers grading deep dirt roads, crossed streams, and gone down light offroad tracks with it).  I am looking at putting on a 80/20 (road/offroad) set of tires on (probably in Canada just before heading into Alaska).  Currently I'm thinking about the Continental Trail Attack 2 tire.  I am open to other suggestions (and will check out your recommendations) but don't feel that a knobby tire is required.  Suspension upgrades are not in my current budget (though I would like to do them a bit farther down the road).   
I have already ordered the Madstad 22" windscreen, Radiator Protector, Front Fender Extender, Tutoro Auto Chain Oiler, and KTM hand guards.  I'll be getting the Corbin seat soon.  I'll be removing the "Fin of Death" and using the low profile oil drain plug.  I'm checking out headlight protector options (the Puig looks really good, but I haven't found a price for it yet - Anyone know anything about it?).  I think the FJ will do well (though it may never look the same again, given some of the pictures I've seen of bikes doing this trip :)   ).

It will be an adventure, and I'm looking forward to it.

As Steve said: "I'm not planning on doing any off-roading, but they might be better as an overall tire design for that part of the trip. They might also be over-kill. Thoughts? " 
You might look into Michelin's PR-4 trail tire.  Looks just like the regular PR-4's.  After all they are tire people and most likely, know more than us.  Might be just the ticket and PR's usually get pretty good tire wear. (except in Alaska).

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

I have not tried the Anakee 3's yet but have read very good things as a road-centric dual sport with good life.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/michelin-anakee-3-tires?utm_source=product&kwd=&gclid=Cj0KEQiArou2BRDcoN_c6NDI3oMBEiQANeix5jDcDgux5gj4BLbAukNR1o6vwT9TkxfkYzPhbEaet3UaAqSr8P8HAQ

they are on my very short list of "next tire"
Some revies:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-tires/michelin-anakee-3/review.htm

this guy had 16K on them!

but I did see you are looking at about $300 in tires. Without the mount/balance, although I do my own :)

Best of luck on your adventure. I'm totally jealous, Alaska is the dream :)
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

I used Anakee 3's on my old Honda Varadero and I really liked them. I still stayed off of loose packed gravel just because the weight of my Honda, but they worked very good on dirt roads and very nice in rain riding. If I had a full adventure bike I would use Anakee 3's.

Any bike I ride is a full adventure bike!

I used Anakee 3's on my old Honda Varadero and I really liked them. I still stayed off of loose packed gravel just because the weight of my Honda, but they worked very good on dirt roads and very nice in rain riding. If I had a full adventure bike I would use Anakee 3's.

2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

Archived