Bar end weights

I have been looking at bar end wights for the FJ-09. After some searches the company HVMP keep cumming up. Looking on their web site, They have listings for a number of brands and models, but no FJ-09. A quick phone call and Steve was very helpful. He informed me that they have a design for the FJ-09 and will be in production soon. It will allow the continued use of the hand guards with the new design. The FZ-09 bar end weights will work on the FJ-09 if the hand guards are removed. His best guess was the new design should be available within the next few months.

Kurt

• 2 months later...
funnily enough I removed one of the hand-guards on my bike earlier today as I wanted to figure out how easy fitting the superten hand-guards would be..

I was very surprised at how lightweight the stock "bar end" is, I wasn't expecting it to be Aluminium at all!

My dad suggested taking them up to the local machine shop and having them replicated in stainless steel,  which should almost triple the weight while keeping the stock look and functionality, they are a fairly simple shape so If you know anyone with a lathe or CNC machine it may be time to call in a favour! :D

Yea I thought of that, I used a mic to measure them and drew them in cad to give to a machine shop to make them outa stainless and maybe a little bigger. I just haven't gotten around to dropping it off yet.
Do I see the possibility of someone starting a little home business here?  Forum and ebay maybe? ;) 

I spoke with them about two weeks ago. He told me that the design was finished and they have been overwhelmed with orders. I guess the new bmw 1000xr really need this. They have my contact information and should let me know as soon as they become available. Sending them an email might get this moved from the back burner. info@hvmp.com

Kurt

What is the thread and diameter of our bars?
It depends on whether you are removing the stock hand guards and the inserts in the bar.  Without the inserts, they are rather large holes ( 12mm hex needed to pull them, probably 18mm? ), with the inserts they are ( I think ) 8mm.   I used the same bolts that were on the Versys ( 2009 ) to thread in Versys bar ends ( E-bay special ) but I am running with the inserts in.  
FZ-09 bar ends will work but I suspect those require the inserts to be out.

I was planning to pull the hand guards and install the bar ends. Not sure if it makes more sense to leave the inserts or not. They will add weight but will the weight be the same between the 12mm/8mm bar ends?

• Premium Member
My crash bung material bar ends with the hand guards still in place. R&g. Are the worth $45 bucks? Probably not...but only the best for my FJ or more like I saw these late one night and stupidly just ordered them without thinking too much about it. What a profit they must make on these. Oh well... Probably would slide and protect well in a fall.
c7f65fff827370bebed030509b3444a0.jpg

5131df2d80107307392eb61372ab0c6a.jpg

Archived