Clutch issue? / Does your bike do this?

With engine idling, transmission in neutral, pull in clutch, and drop transmission into 1st gear my bike makes a very noticeable "klunk", sometimes accompanied by a half second or so of gear grinding in the tranny.  It's almost like the clutch isn't fully disengaging.  I've taken all the free play out of the clutch cable at the lever.  No change.  I haven't messed with the engine side of the clutch adjustment yet.  I know all bikes do this to some degree, but this seems excessive.  Does your bike do this?  I've got a SV650, it drops into gear without a sound. ???

Mine does the same as yours. I think it's a matter of "They all do that, sir..."
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

• Premium Member
My 2015 does not grind, but it does make a big klunk going from neutral to 1st gear. This is definitely one of the rougher shifting transmissions I have felt in a modern bike.

My Suzuki V-Stron 650's transmission was silky smooth, so is the one in my KTM 350 EXC-F. This gearbox feels like it is full of sand.  I try hard to shift it smoothly but seldom succeed.

Out of 20 or so motorcycles I have owned over the last 50 years this is the first Yamaha I have owned. Based on the experience so far with this bike, I doubt I would ever consider buying another Yamaha.

• Premium Member
A number of bikes I have owned had a loud clunk - 2 versions of the VFR750, a CBR600, TDM850 & my last bike the Super Tenere XT1200Z. The Tracer does the same but no other noises like grinding.

This does not cause me any anxiety.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
My 2015 does not grind, but it does make a big klunk going from neutral to 1st gear. This is definitely one of the rougher shifting transmissions I have felt in a modern bike.

My Suzuki V-Stron 650's transmission was silky smooth, so is the one in my KTM 350 EXC-F. This gearbox feels like it is full of sand.  I try hard to shift it smoothly but seldom succeed.

Out of 20 or so motorcycles I have owned over the last 50 years this is the first Yamaha I have owned. Based on the experience so far with this bike, I doubt I would ever consider buying another Yamaha.
Sorry your feeling that way about the fj09.  I've owned three Yamahas in the past few years.  A FZ6, an FJR, and the FJ09. The FZ and the FJ did the same klunk when dropping into gear, never really bothered me as thier trannies are built tough and I think that just goes with it.  As for overall smoothness I've found great improvement by going to full synthetic oil.   

• Premium Member
My 15 will clunk a bit when I put into gear. Not bad. No more then the FJR. Both of them shift fine. My BMW r1100s and K1200rs were klunky and had finicky shifting. Nature of the beast I reckon. Ran syn fluid and it helped. Will go to full syn on the FJ after my 3rd dealer service.
2015 FJ 09 Matte Gray
2006 FJR 1300
IBA member

• Premium Member
Sorry your feeling that way about the fj09.  I've owned three Yamahas in the past few years.  A FZ6, an FJR, and the FJ09. The FZ and the FJ did the same klunk when dropping into gear, never really bothered me as thier trannies are built tough and I think that just goes with it.  As for overall smoothness I've found great improvement by going to full synthetic oil.   
I expected the suspension to suck, and it does.  For me, at my weight, stock suspension always does.  It's worse than I thought it would be, but there is light at the end of that tunnel, new JRI shock arriving tomorrow and fork work coming up.  

The KLUNK tells me the clutch plates don't release fully.  If it was only when going from neutral into first it wouldn't bother me that much, but it is rough on all shifts.  N->1 is by far the worst.  Lots of transmissions are built tough without being hard shifting.

I put in full synthetic at the first oil change.  Made no difference at all.

One thing I find inexcusable about this bike is the horrible whining racket it makes until it gets warmed up.  I believe that noise is the cam chain rubbing on the cam chain guide.  I was horrified the first time the bike was started at the dealership, but they assured me it would go away.  Well it does go away after the bike gets warmed up, but it comes back and does it every single time when it's cold.

It often does not start when I hit the starter button.  Cranks fast, but does not fire.  It did it with the stock battery and it does it with the LiFE battery. If I fiddle with the throttle, it will eventually catch, then sputter, and smell real rich as it stumbles to life.  You should never have to touch the throttle during starting on any properly designed EFI bike. This is 2016, EFI bikes have been instant start, every time, for about 10 years now.  This problem is very common with this bike and very annoying, and Yamaha does nothing about it.

I have never before had to saw off part of the oil pan and replace the drain plug in order to help ensure the bottom of the engine won't get ripped out if I go over a speed bump too fast.  There is so much lack of attention to detail and cheaping out on this bike that although I will try to fix the things that are wrong with this one, I won't trust Yamaha to do it right again in the future.

so, if you were horrified at the dealership... why did you buy it? I almost never buy anything I'm horrified of. Except Nightmare on Elm STreet Part 3. The Dream Warriors were horrifying, but made for a big laugh.

This bike always starts for me. Every single time. Except that one time I didn't hold the starter long enough. Only about 2k so far but no issues. I have sopme hard shifting into first but I call BS on the V. My 2012 V had hard shifting into first. All my Yamaha's did it too. For a combined 50k miles. The oil pan is just bad design. Ya got me on that one.

It's got some whine, and some cheap parts. But mostly it's a great fun bike. I recommend you sell it immediately and get a Ural.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
I find if I give a quick little blip of throttle before shifting into first it is much smoother. Just like when down shifting while riding.
Bill
2015 Heeled by the hands of Nel's @ 2WheelDynoworks
K-Tech forks and shock
lots of other expensive unimportant stuff.
The "Ex" 2003 FZ1
Ride more, worry less.

• Premium Member
so, if you were horrified at the dealership... why did you buy it? 
They cleverly delayed my even sitting on or hearing the bike until after I had paid for it.  I let them manipulate me, and that is 100% my fault. I shouldn't have done it, but I had buck fever.  

If I knew then what I know now I would have left without buying it.

Your "buy a Ural" comment is kinda your version of "love it or leave it", I guess.  Not a particularly helpful comment.

I have the bike now, and I am going to do my best to fix it.

• Premium Member
I find if I give a quick little blip of throttle before shifting into first it is much smoother. Just like when down shifting while riding.
I'll try that.  Perhaps it helps to separate the clutch pack.  Thank you.

My concern is that my clutch is dragging. Put the bike on the center stand, pull in the clutch, drop in into 1st. The rear wheel is spinning. I press my boot into the spinning tire and the tire wont stop with the clutch pulled it.. So, my clutch his quite a drag. Most bikes I've had spun the tire, but my boot could easily slow and stop the rear wheel. I'll ask my shop about that. It can't be good for the tranny. Funny, I don't notice this when riding. Perhaps it's my weight...

Maybe your clutch cable needs a little adjusting? All my bikes spin the rear with the clutch disengaged but I can usually stop it. The several hundred pounds of metal is probably making up the difference.

My concern is that my clutch is dragging. Put the bike on the center stand, pull in the clutch, drop in into 1st. The rear wheel is spinning. I press my boot into the spinning tire and the tire wont stop with the clutch pulled it.. So, my clutch his quite a drag. Most bikes I've had spun the tire, but my boot could easily slow and stop the rear wheel. I'll ask my shop about that. It can't be good for the tranny. Funny, I don't notice this when riding. Perhaps it's my weight...

2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

I now have 26K on the bike and it  still does that.  I don't think it is a problem as I still have a good working clutch.  I normally don't start the bike and pull in the clutch, I use nuetral and it still spins a little, but stops after a while. Don't do that. ;)

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Archived