Tips installing running lights ?

buckybuk

Can anyone please offer some tips on installing some running lights please.
I plan on installing these 10w running lights on the lower part of both sides of the front wheel. (another forum member installed in same spot here https://i.imgur.com/aCOMJLP.jpg)
I would like them to come on when I start the bike day or night.
Looking for suggestions on where to wire up the power for lights at ? I'm not the most mechanical inclined person.

Thanks in advance
2016 R1
2015 FJ-09-------SOLD
2002 Wr250F
2014 Concours

I have my lights (mentioned in your thread) wired hot from the battery. At the battery I have the positive wire fused (10-15 amps) and then run positive and negative wires (sleeved in shrink tubing to prevent chaffing) under the tank. Forward of the handle bars I have the wires connected to a switch and split off to 12 volt accessory socket, off the switch I run the wires down to the lights and voltmeter. I prefer this method because I can use the accessory socket as a means of charging the battery and if I have a flat I can power a mini compressor. The OEM accessory socket cannot handle the amps required for small compressor. I like to have the aux lights down low because with this pattern (headlight high aux low) it makes for a better profile/recognition to the other guy on 4 wheels that is riding at you. I try not to ride at night so aux lights aren't really for night vis, they are for recognition. Hope this helps.

• Premium Member
I have my lights (mentioned in your thread) wired hot from the battery. At the battery I have the positive wire fused (10-15 amps) and then run positive and negative wires (sleeved in shrink tubing to prevent chaffing) under the tank. Forward of the handle bars I have the wires connected to a switch and split off to 12 volt accessory socket, off the switch I run the wires down to the lights and voltmeter. I prefer this method because I can use the accessory socket as a means of charging the battery and if I have a flat I can power a mini compressor. The OEM accessory socket cannot handle the amps required for small compressor. I like to have the aux lights down low because with this pattern (headlight high aux low) it makes for a better profile/recognition to the other guy on 4 wheels that is riding at you. I try not to ride at night so aux lights aren't really for night vis, they are for recognition. Hope this helps.
This would make an awesome How To...just need some pics to go along with the write up (hint hint) :D 

• 1 month later...

Archived