Colorado Newbie Here

Good Mornin all, Tis Sunday morn here in Colorado and I just wanted to say how-deeee, and give a quick thanks to the folks who created this forum. One can read the mfg.'s reviews but the true facts ,ideas, pro's,and con's, come from us, the "Joe" consumers. ( and "Josephines") You will see in a few short months ,this site will grow to mass proportions. I am a viewer/user of 3 other forums ( 2 bike, 1 truck) and they both have been a wealth of information. I did post a "feeler" of female riders out there the other day and have gotten some great positive feedback already on this bike. I will take my wife in this week to some shops for some "test sits" to have her feel out the weights and sizes and of course ,colors, of diff models. I think she will be able to handle the FJ,s features just fine. I am not worried all that much of her newby status because I will train her and then get her enrolled in a good bike course here locally. It's a win/win because with her in the newly status of riders education,  then ,I, can ride her bike! How great is that?! We have a great mix of riding here in the mtn states as with my two other rides , a ST 1300 and a GTL 1600 Beemer it just makes sense to have a FJ in the garage too,,, right? Slight humor there ,, just needed some more convincing  to the Mrs. Ha. Anyway , just wanted to say hi to all, keep up with any and all posts . Its all good to get diff ideas and constructive criticism on this bike and life 101 in general. Keep the bright side up, RMH

• Premium Member
Good Mornin all, Tis Sunday morn here in Colorado and I just wanted to say how-deeee, and give a quick thanks to the folks who created this forum. One can read the mfg.'s reviews but the true facts ,ideas, pro's,and con's, come from us, the "Joe" consumers. ( and "Josephines") You will see in a few short months ,this site will grow to mass proportions. I am a viewer/user of 3 other forums ( 2 bike, 1 truck) and they both have been a wealth of information. I did post a "feeler" of female riders out there the other day and have gotten some great positive feedback already on this bike. I will take my wife in this week to some shops for some "test sits" to have her feel out the weights and sizes and of course ,colors, of diff models. I think she will be able to handle the FJ,s features just fine. I am not worried all that much of her newby status because I will train her and then get her enrolled in a good bike course here locally. It's a win/win because with her in the newly status of riders education,  then ,I, can ride her bike! How great is that?! We have a great mix of riding here in the mtn states as with my two other rides , a ST 1300 and a GTL 1600 Beemer it just makes sense to have a FJ in the garage too,,, right? Slight humor there ,, just needed some more convincing  to the Mrs. Ha. Anyway , just wanted to say hi to all, keep up with any and all posts . Its all good to get diff ideas and constructive criticism on this bike and life 101 in general. Keep the bright side up, RMH
You posted that she is 5'5", but the big thing is her inseam. Is she all leg? If so, she will be fine. I can completely flat foot my FJ (not a big deal since I am 6'), but find it really easy to balance on due to it's light weight. That will work to her advantage also. They now make lowering links for this bike and a low seat, so if she likes the bike, you will be able to modify it (if necessary) to accommodate her. Oh, get some sliders, because she will probably drop it when she is new.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I did post a "feeler" of female riders out there the other day and have gotten some great positive feedback already on this bike. I will take my wife in this week to some shops for some "test sits" to have her feel out the weights and sizes and of course ,colors, of diff models. I think she will be able to handle the FJ,s features just fine. I am not worried all that much of her newby status because I will train her and then get her enrolled in a good bike course here locally. It's a win/win because with her in the newly status of riders education,  then ,I, can ride her bike! How great is that?!
We started my wife on a 750, a bit heavy at 475 lbs, after she passed a MSF course. Every time she dropped the bike it cost $40 for a new chrome turn signal, besides the scratches. After a three months and 400 miles she informed me that she wanted a smaller bike. We picked up a 250 at 300 lbs. In 4 (winter) months she put on 2400 miles and learned the balance point of a bike and gained so much confidences that when she got back on the 750 we did over 10,000 miles that following summer. We sold the 250 for what we paid for it, less the taxes. Best decision we made was to buy the 250. I can't tell you how many people I know that the husband made a decision to buy a bike for the wife and the wife never feels comfortable riding.  He ends up with another bike.  Please, share this post with the wife. 

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

I did post a "feeler" of female riders out there the other day and have gotten some great positive feedback already on this bike. I will take my wife in this week to some shops for some "test sits" to have her feel out the weights and sizes and of course ,colors, of diff models. I think she will be able to handle the FJ,s features just fine. I am not worried all that much of her newby status because I will train her and then get her enrolled in a good bike course here locally. It's a win/win because with her in the newly status of riders education,  then ,I, can ride her bike! How great is that?!
We started my wife on a 750, a bit heavy at 475 lbs, after she passed a MSF course. Every time she dropped the bike it cost $40 for a new chrome turn signal, besides the scratches. After a three months and 400 miles she informed me that she wanted a smaller bike. We picked up a 250 at 300 lbs. In 4 (winter) months she put on 2400 miles and learned the balance point of a bike and gained so much confidences that when she got back on the 750 we did over 10,000 miles that following summer. We sold the 250 for what we paid for it, less the taxes. Best decision we made was to buy the 250. I can't tell you how many people I know that the husband made a decision to buy a bike for the wife and the wife never feels comfortable riding.  He ends up with another bike.  Please, share this post with the wife.
I completely agree. 
Wayyyy back when I started riding, spring 1979, I got an XS400 for my first bike. Put 6,000 miles on it. A year later I got a heavy pig, an XS-Eleven with full Vetter heavy touring set-up: fairing, lowers, 3 bags. Never did drop that bike. Two years after that I got a Seca 500. After the Eleven I new I preferred smaller lighter mid-size bikes!

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

Welcome aboard!!

I also recommend starting the wife on a smaller, lighter, less powerful bike to learn balance, handling and confidence, and then graduating to the FJ. I did almost a year on a Ninja 250 when I started riding five years ago, and within a year after that, I was doing 2,300 mile tours in the mountains on my next bike. It really does make a huge difference in learning to ride WELL.

Archived