FZ-07 rear sprocket to FJ-09

• Premium Member
Per the parts diagram it looks like the clutch hub assy are the same,on both, and that's what the sprocket bolts up to. Be aware it looks like the FJ sprocket is 45 teeth and the FZ-07 is 43 teeth.
Bill
2015 Heeled by the hands of Nel's @ 2WheelDynoworks
K-Tech forks and shock
lots of other expensive unimportant stuff.
The "Ex" 2003 FZ1
Ride more, worry less.

I'm trying to find out if the bolt pattern for the rear sprocket on the FZ 07 and the FJ 09 are the same.   I can't seem to be sure.  Does anyone have experience with swapping these sprockets? 
The FZ07, FZ09, FJ09, some other Yamaha's and Suzuki's have the same bolt pattern and 525 chain. JT rear sprocket #1786 fit the bike. I just installed a 43T from the FZ07 on my FJ09, looking for a little more gear. Everything fits perfect.john 

• Premium Member
He means going from a 45 tooth down to a 43 tooth on the rear sprocket will make the engine less frenetic during acceleration and it will run out to cruising speed at a lower rpm then before, it will also theoretically have higher top speed if it's not drag limited but acceleration and the directness of the engine to wheel during acceleration will suffer a bit as you give up one for the other and torque at the same power levels is lessened to the wheel with this gearing.

Some people go the other way with bigger rear sprockets or it's usually easier to go down 1-2 tooth on the front sprocket for insane low rpm torque at the expense of lower top speeds that run out quickly in each gear at a lower speeds at the top of each gear but the life of chains then can suffer if the front sprocket is too small transmitting the shortened gearing.

Stunters do a combination of both sprockets but usually huge rear sprockets to get up the weeklies easily and at fairly lower speeds. These have noticeably lower top speeds but monster response and transmission of power but at the loss of speed and screaming the engine easily and constantly.

Thanks for the reply. When you say you want more gear, are you thinking of a 42, or 44?
I went from the standard 45T down to 43T. That should lower RPM at cruising speeds 65- 75 mph by 2-300 RPM. The bike has a very strong mid-range and I think it should pull it nicely. We'll see. john 

Archived