Kent Downs

johan

• Premium Member
Living in the Garden of England has it's advantages; an easy commute into Canary Wharf on the eastern side of London, a 35 minute ride to the Chunnel combined with rural scenery. And yes, the Kent Downs is beautiful. But the biggest draw back is that it is one of the most densely populated counties and the roads are always busy. This morning I went for a ride, to scrub my new PR4 tyres. Unfortunately, every time I got to a twisty section of road or even a roundabout I had either and HGV or a effing horse box in front of me, with oncoming traffic. Smaller B roads can be quieter but they are narrow and undulating with limited vision ahead, so while still satisfying they are not fast and won't challenge your tyres. I guess the style of riding is to slow down, relax and enjoy the scenery. Does anyone have a favourite route in Kent or East Sussex? I usually explore around Biddenden, Tenterdon etc. This morning I stayed close to home; Crouch, Plaxtol, Shipbourne, Ightham and so on.

Photo taken in Shipbourne

4429800.jpg

• Premium Member
Some suggestions:

Get up earlier to avoid traffic and go to West Sussex & Hampshire. Their Downs are better.

Man-up and get a proper wiggle on in the lanes. Loads of minor roads here are great. A legacy of their Roman heritage. Long straights with twisty bits where geology interrupts the geometry.

Photos: no idea. Mine behave themselves. Not using an i-phone are you?

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Some suggestions: 
Get up earlier to avoid traffic and go to West Sussex & Hampshire. Their Downs are better.

Man-up and get a proper wiggle on in the lanes. Loads of minor roads here are great. A legacy of their Roman heritage. Long straights with twisty bits where geology interrupts the geometry.

Photos: no idea. Mine behave themselves. Not using an i-phone are you?

I do get up early, but it's hard to beat the horse box brigade. Years of cleaning out stables at 5 AM... 
Not afraid to push on in the lanes, but where the Cotswolds are generally open we always have tall hedges. If you're man enough to storm through a blind corner that is one vehicle wide, go ahead.

Guest reeseyboy
Living in the Garden of England has it's advantages; an easy commute into Canary Wharf on the eastern side of London, a 35 minute ride to the Chunnel combined with rural scenery. And yes, the Kent Downs is beautiful. But the biggest draw back is that it is one of the most densely populated counties and the roads are always busy. This morning I went for a ride, to scrub my new PR4 tyres. Unfortunately, every time I got to a twisty section of road or even a roundabout I had either and HGV or a effing horse box in front of me, with oncoming traffic. Smaller B roads can be quieter but they are narrow and undulating with limited vision ahead, so while still satisfying they are not fast and won't challenge your tyres. I guess the style of riding is to slow down, relax and enjoy the scenery. Does anyone have a favourite route in Kent or East Sussex? I usually explore around Biddenden, Tenterdon etc. This morning I stayed close to home; Crouch, Plaxtol, Shipbourne, Ightham and so on. 
Photo taken in Shipbourne

I like taking the A251 from Faversham to Ashford, stop for a coffee at Laguna Powerhouse, then A28 through Tenterden towards Headcorn and back towards Maidstone. I like getting up early when the weather is good and taking a ride towards Eastbourne or up into Essex and Suffolk. Getting up early lets the county be your own private racetrack! 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest reeseyboy
I go down that way quite a lot. Gets a bit boring after a while. Like to get up into Essex and Suffolk now; Finchingfield and up to Manningtree...

Archived