catoma tents? Where to purchase?

madsquabbles

I have in the new tent buying phase for a summer long distance road trip.  For the most part decided on a catoma tent for the haul.  Anyone have any thoughts on a vendor or any reason I shouldn't be purchasing one of these bad boys?  Of course I want to get the best price possible so any input on sellers would be helpful.  Thanks in advance forum.  I will attach a link to the one I am thinking.   catoma tent link

Hi Madsquabbles. If you're looking for a tent for use on the bike, it seems that the one you linked too packs quite large for carrying on the back of a motorcycle. Also, the tent poles go in sleeves and hooks. Sleeves are a real pain in the butt when you want to set up quickly in the rain. The hook system works much better and faster. Check out this link for a number of tents that might serve you better: https://www.campmor.com/c/gear/tents This is a great store and they have a nice catalog with all kinds of camping gear. I have used Eureka, Kelty and Sierra Designs tents and all are decent quality. Just a quick browse suggests that a Kelty TN2 might be pretty nice. Note the pack size is a lot smaller than the one you were looking at.

Generally, you want a tent sized for one more person than you are sleeping. This leaves room for your gear. On the other side of the fence, the Coleman tents won't last a trip, so I wouldn't recommend them. Good luck!

• Premium Member
I'm with bob. Campmor is an excellent source of gear. REI is another. Sierra trading post is another, closeouts and overstock.

I used a Kelty Gunnison 2 for many years spending at least 100+ nights in it. Mostly canoe and kayak camping. When backpacking I use a tarp. I use a taller 3 man tent now due to RA, the Gunnison is low so it was tough for me to get out of.

Rule of thumb. Buy a tent 1 person larger than you have people. 1 man = 2 man. You're just sleeping in it, or hiding from the bugs at dusk/dawn.

One rule is non-negotiable. Light is right..

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
Hi Madsquabbles. If you're looking for a tent for use on the bike, it seems that the one you linked too packs quite large for carrying on the back of a motorcycle. Also, the tent poles go in sleeves and hooks. Sleeves are a real pain in the butt when you want to set up quickly in the rain. The hook system works much better and faster. Check out this link for a number of tents that might serve you better: https://www.campmor.com/c/gear/tents This is a great store and they have a nice catalog with all kinds of camping gear. I have used Eureka, Kelty and Sierra Designs tents and all are decent quality. Just a quick browse suggests that a Kelty TN2 might be pretty nice. Note the pack size is a lot smaller than the one you were looking at. 
Generally, you want a tent sized for one more person than you are sleeping. This leaves room for your gear. On the other side of the fence, the Coleman tents won't last a trip, so I wouldn't recommend them. Good luck!
I'm a Gucci Tourer from now on, but if I weren't, this is what i would try.  http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/redverz-atacama-expedition-tent  

• Premium Member
I have a Keilty as well. 4 man. So it's ok for two with gear. The only thing that I'd like to have is a taller tent so I don't have to lay down when I put on my pants. But size is certainly a consideration with a motorcycle. Whatever you buy, get the tent sealer for all the seams. It's like nail polish and a good camping store with have it. Believe me, seams leak in heavy rain. The sealer helps allot.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

Archived