• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 35 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Aspiring FJ-09 Owner

TxAg15

Hey everyone,

So I'm not an FJ-09 owner (yet), but I've been researching bikes for a while and the FJ-09 really drew me in. I got to test ride one today in Austin and...wow. I was thoroughly impressed.
I currently ride a 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500 (long jump from an FJ, I know). I've put about 23,000 miles on it in the last 2.5 years, including a couple of pretty long trips, so I've really been looking for something that's more suitable for touring. My dad rides an FJR1300, which is nice, but being a relatively small person (5'6", 150lbs), the FJ-09 is a lot easier for me to handle (and it just feels less bulky than the FJR). I'm hoping towards the end of this year, I'll be able to save up enough to swap up to the FJ. Anyway, I've been lurking around here for awhile, but after today my heart is pretty set on getting an FJ-09 at some point in the future, so I thought I'd go ahead and register and say hi.

Ride safe!

• Premium Member
Great choice and welcome.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I just bought mine a few weeks ago, and I love it. I'm a bigger guy, 6'1, 215, but the bike fits and handles great no matter your stature. My friend is about your size and he had no problem sitting on it and maneuvering it. It's super light and handles great, and the triple is eager to run wild in open spaces. You really can't beat the amount of features the bike comes with for the price. It's a thinly veiled track bike in a sport-touring package. For me, the bike came with most of things I would've had to upgrade on another bike in the same price range, so now I can spend my money more towards "add-ons" rather than "upgrades".

I was saving for a bike for awhile, and over the course of 8 months or so visiting my local dealers, I changed my mind 3 or 4 times about what I wanted. I was originally looking more in the $6k-$8k range like some of the 650s Kawasaki and Suzuki offer. Each time I went to the shop, I always saw this red FJ on display with the other fancy expensive sport tourers that cost $15K+. No matter how many bikes I looked at, the FJ was always in the back of my mind. Finally, I was just like "f**k it, I want that red one".

Good luck with your future purchase. You won't ever regret riding an FJ.

I also came from a 500 to the FJ. (CBR500RA) I was also looking at 650s like the Versys, but also decided to make the plunge since I wanted the FJ09 more. Not a single regret. Good luck with whatever you decide
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

A number of people recommended the Versys 650 to me, but I just can't get excited about the Versys when compared to the FJ-09. I'm not really a huge fan of inline twins and I really like the triple on the FJ. Plus I just find the FJ more aesthetically appealing.

GLWP! Love this bike, nimble, quick, well balanced, and very comfortable. Rode it straight from KY to MI, 7.5 hours and wasn't fatigued at all.

Mike
'15 FJ-09 - Candy Red. Mods: Cruizin cruise control, Givi D2122S WS & crash bars. Rivco anti-vibration highway pegs. Yamaha rear rack & softbags. RAM mount X grip at handlebar bolts. Shorty levers. Tail assembly shortened. FZ6 rubber pegs.
'05 Honda CRF450r
'77 Honda CB550f Super Sport

• Premium Member
I went from Ninja 500 to FJ-09, with a Triumph Street Triple in between.

I thought the Ninja 500 was fast. My points of reference were a Buddy 170 scooter and various cars, some of which were actually pretty fast.

The FJ is way faster. But the traction control mitigates the wheelie threat. So the power feels very controllable. Even when you downshift to 3rd or 2nd on the highway because you want to FEEL THE POWER! I mean 4th is fine, or even 5th, but you paid for all that power, you may as well use it!

Anyway, I am very pleased with my choice of FJ. It is not a short bike, but if you're comfortable with it, then go for it.

• Premium Member
A number of people recommended the Versys 650 to me, but I just can't get excited about the Versys when compared to the FJ-09. I'm not really a huge fan of inline twins and I really like the triple on the FJ. Plus I just find the FJ more aesthetically appealing.

That's how I felt about the Versys 650. Great value for what it is but it was just boring to ride in comparison to the FJ09. The Versys is an ideal commuter bike. The Versys 1000 is a great bike as well but to me was boring as well. These bikes I just demoed when I was in the market. I kept coming back to the FJ09. As I said before, it really comes down to being honest with yourself as to what your going to want to do with the bike and getting the right tool for the job. Way too many brands and styles out there to just say I want a bike with no plan. For instance, I really liked the Indian Scout but to me it was a bar hopper and not for touring. I like the Triumph tiger but I already have a bike for on road and off road. I wanted a Sport tourer for weekend getaways and the FJ09 at its price point fit the bill.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

Archived