NO NAME FORK SPRINGS

justplainbill

I'm looking into buying fork springs from a spring manufacturer. Not Race Tech or any other name brand, but a place called The Spring Store which stocks a huge variety of springs and takes custom orders for those they don't.  I don't want to get into a bruhaha over why I would do such a thing, or the hazards of doing such a thing or whether my psychiatrist is on vacation... just humor me.

I'm not ready to pull a spring out of my forks right now to get measurements, so if it's convenient, I would appreciate it if someone with a stock FJ-09 fork spring handy and a micrometer or digital caliper would measure the outside and inside diameters of the spring and the wire diameter (service manual gives length as 12.02 inches, 305.3 mm). A photo would also be helpful so I can provide a count of the coils to the company.

Thanks - Bill 

• Premium Member
I'm looking into buying fork springs from a spring manufacturer. Not Race Tech or any other name brand, but a place called The Spring Store which stocks a huge variety of springs and takes custom orders for those they don't.  I don't want to get into a bruhaha over why I would do such a thing, or the hazards of doing such a thing or whether my psychiatrist is on vacation... just humor me. 
I'm not ready to pull a spring out of my forks right now to get measurements, so if it's convenient, I would appreciate it if someone with a stock FJ-09 fork spring handy and a micrometer or digital caliper would measure the outside and inside diameters of the spring and the wire diameter (service manual gives length as 12.02 inches, 305.3 mm). A photo would also be helpful so I can provide a count of the coils to the company.

Thanks - Bill 
Bill, check out my Andreanoni fork cartridge install in the how to section. I have pictures with measurements. 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Are your 'no-name' brand springs much cheaper than $70?
No. Using the spring calculator - and ULEWZ's figure (1.3" OD),  with stock length (12") and wire diameter (0.203"), 30 coils/12" -- the closest no-name stock spring they sell is $37.50 each and the minimum order from the company is $89.  And by "close", that spring wasn't close enough to consider (spring rate 0.87 Kg/mm, spring travel 3.7").  There didn't seem to be any point inquiring about custom made springs since my maximum order would be two each.  
It was an interesting exercise, but a dead end.  Do you know of, or sell $70 brand name springs? 

<SNIP> 
Thanks - Bill 
Bill, check out my Andreanoni fork cartridge install in the how to section. I have pictures with measurements.
Thanks ULEWZ, I used what I could and still came up short with the Spring Company.  Your step by step description should be helpful when I do get into my forks. Good stuff. 

• Premium Member
Sonic are fairly popular with SV and Versys DIYers as well.
I ran sonic springs in a dirt bike and in my FJR1300 with good results. I trust their spring calculator much more than the racetech calculator (suggests stiff springs IMO). 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Archived