600_mile_thoughts_commuter_touring_mods

Overall I'm loving this bike. It looks cool, sound cool, is cool.

Just dropped the bike off for 600 miles service after a week of riding. This morning I softened the suspension and noticed a positive change. It's absorbing 75% of the rough bumps going down the 405_hwy from Torrance to Irvine. Which is great!  

My commute is super boring and I was thinking about mods to make it less painful. The seat digs in my inner though on the edges, so I'm constantly moving to find comfort. So for me the seat needs a change. Back rest! I'd love to have a back rest to lean back and cruise. Along with the back rest, frame foot pegs. I've been looking but haven seen these mods.

Now keep in mind I'd love to do some long trips, but right now its all about commuting.

I wish this thing had a larger gas tank. Sadly my average speed is about 78 mph. Yes people hail butt down the 405, I'm just trying to keep up. MPG is 47ish. 

B mode 90% of the time. Easier for lane splitting. Which by the way isn't as bad as I was thinking it would be. 

Just waiting for the dealer to call...................

• Premium Member
Try it in STD mode - I have no experience of this but I think some others report better fuel consumption in STD mode compared to B.

Cruise pegs will put even more weight on your backside - are you sure you are riding the right bike?
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Try it in STD mode - I have no experience of this but I think some others report better fuel consumption in STD mode compared to B.  
Cruise pegs will put even more weight on your backside - are you sure you are riding the right bike?
While I can't back it up with real hard numbers, I've been feeling that my gas mileage improves a bit when I'm running in A mode (assuming I'm not constantly maxing out the motor).  "Normal" riding using "A" as opposed to "Std" seems to do a bit better.  My thought is the motor just isn't having to work quite as hard.  Haven't been disciplined enough to hold to a repeatable riding course to truly compare.  I have noticed that at highway speeds the readout seems to be a mile or two per gallon higher when I change from "Std" to "A".  Haven't tried "B". 
Other people's experiences?

Overall I'm loving this bike. It looks cool, sound cool, is cool. 
Along with the back rest, frame foot pegs. I've been looking but haven seen these mods.

If you add the SW Motech engine guards (not a bad idea to start with on the ol' 405, I've been down and sliding on it before in Long Beach), you can add road pegs to them (one idea is this http://www.amazon.com/Rivco-Products-Highway-Mounting-Clamps/dp/B005U811NM/ref=pd_rhf_ee_p_img_13?ie=UTF8&refRID=1PZCBGN04JK7SAPNVRZ4 and this http://www.amazon.com/Rivco-Products-Anti-Vibration-Highway-Pegs/dp/B005U80V6K/ref=pd_sim_263_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41Zvt-SQr7L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1SF4CZV9998QGB0DCAZT or something similar)  I'm sneaking up on doing this soon I think.  I already have the engine guards on. 

Thanks for the input gang! Yeah the foot pegs on those mounts looks like the idea. Now just a back rest. I see lots of stuff out there. This weekend I might mock up something in metal.

Oh I got the bike after the service. MPG dropped to like 15. ;)

lol. I'm just saying it might be kinda cool to kick back and cruise. ;)
Kick back and cruise ... at 78mph? I don't think so.  
You need to be leaning into the wind so it carries some of your body weight instead of your arms and your butt, not leaning back where the wind means you are pulling off your arms and your head is being blown off.

Wearing a kidney belt will give you the torso support that you would hope for in a backrest. Cycling shorts will help you to decide whether to invest in a new saddle.

• 3 weeks later...
Reusing a old tank bag on the back seat as a back rest worked great, just need my highway pegs now.

I ended up cutting 3 inches off the top of the OEM windshield. Also added holes to move it down about two inches. Finally adding 1/2 inch spacers on the front two screw to angle it back more. This puts the wind turbulence on my neck just below my chin, but reduced 75% of the OEM turbulence. 

Givi windshield on the way.

Oh and I just added the forum recommended foot pegs. They reduced the foot vibration 80% from what it was. Took about 10 minutes to put on.

I'll test the B mode again for MPG.

Finally I've been stuffing the gas tank up to almost the top of the filler neck. I'm guessing its some where around 5.2ish gallons.

1,753 as of today.
Greg

lol. I'm just saying it might be kinda cool to kick back and cruise. ;)
Kick back and cruise ... at 78mph? I don't think so.  
You need to be leaning into the wind so it carries some of your body weight instead of your arms and your butt, not leaning back where the wind means you are pulling off your arms and your head is being blown off.

Wearing a kidney belt will give you the torso support that you would hope for in a backrest. Cycling shorts will help you to decide whether to invest in a new saddle.

At 6'2 I'm not stretching. I'll give the Cycle shorts a try.

which pegs? the S10 veresion? I have some aftermarket pegs - shiny - but they lack in the vibes reduction category :)

Reusing a old tank bag on the back seat as a back rest worked great, just need my highway pegs now. 
I ended up cutting 3 inches off the top of the OEM windshield. Also added holes to move it down about two inches. Finally adding 1/2 inch spacers on the front two screw to angle it back more. This puts the wind turbulence on my neck just below my chin, but reduced 75% of the OEM turbulence. 

Givi windshield on the way.

Oh and I just added the forum recommended foot pegs. They reduced the foot vibration 80% from what it was. Took about 10 minutes to put on.

I'll test the B mode again for MPG.

Finally I've been stuffing the gas tank up to almost the top of the filler neck. I'm guessing its some where around 5.2ish gallons.

1,753 as of today.
Greg

2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

Archived