Oil filters

berryber

• Premium Member
........ Magnetic drain plugs and good air filters (not K&N) also help a lot.  K&N is now marketing another line of air filters under a different name with better filtration efficiency, probably less air flow, I can't remember the details.

What is wrong with K&N Air filters? just curious.....

Hold the filter up to a light and you can see the holes that let dirt through. Compare that to a standard filter. Over time, that dirt (silicon) will show up and used oil analysis. Same compromise similar to most all engine mods, more power, less engine life. The long term effect on engine life is a source of never ending debate.

Old, but still true -

"for a given size, a filter's ability to trap dust is inversely proportional to its flow rate. If keeping dust from your engine is the goal, a paper filter such as an AC Delco will provide far superior filtering performance, but you'll pay a price in airflow. If WOT performance is most important, the K&N filter used in this test provided about 50% less restriction to airflow, with the 1.6" of H20 difference in air pressure drop at 350 CFM making for a minimal difference (~0.5%) in power at this flow rate. The K&N and UNI filters were far less efficient at trapping dust, and note that they lose their flow advantage after filtering about 180 grams of dust."

http://www.autoblog.com/2005/09/07/how-well-do-k-n-air-filters-work/

• Premium Member
So what air filter do most people use? or is that like asking what is the best oil filter....

The correct question should be what kind of air filter do you want. Since I do only street riding, the FJ 09 has more than enough power to exceed legal speeds at any time, therefor, the performance benefit of high flow performance filters is really not significant to me. I prefer to protect my motor, even though I have never owned a street bike long enough to wear out the engine. If you live in a dusty environment, dirt roads, dust storms etc, the extra dirt the high performance filters let though can cause engine damage much sooner.

If you think your FJ is under powered, and you trade it in every few years, never rack up a lot of miles, and/or never ride in heavy dust, K&N will be fine.

Another note.  Paper filters are restrictive only when they are undersized, or clogged up with dust.

Archived