New MT09 Tracer Owner UK

Hello All,

Just joined the forum and thought I would say a quick Hi!.

I bought the tracer about 2 weeks back after a lot of thinking and hair pulling (replaced my Suzuki GSX650F).. I test drove quite a few (Triumph Tiger Sport 2016, BMW 1000XR, Honda Cross runner, Kawasaki Z1000SX, BMW 1200GS). The tracer just ticked all the boxes for me and was cheapest as well!!

I am a daily commuter and use the bike everyday through the year so wanted something comfortable, light and good for pillion too.. All the above mentioned bikes had things which didn't really tick for me like the BMWs were just too expensive and vibrations?; Kawasaki not too good for a pillion and felt cramped; tiger sport 2016 felt heavier and unstable for some reason and didn't like the riding position; cross runner was too quiet and boring..

Things that I like about tracer - main stand, hand guards, awesome torque,  light and nimble, good for pillion, street style riding position, LED lights, smooth gearshifts, riding modes, auxilliary power port and few more.. Basically just love it!!

The problems that have been discussed on this forum extensively and has helped me sort them out are;

Windscreen - Bought a Givi D2122S to replace the noisy OEM one.

Trottle response - Changed the C0 settings to 14 and its become very smooth now.

Shocks - Changed rebound on front by backing off 2 clicks and rear by backing off 1/2 turn. The ride has become very smooth and stable.

Things that I still need to do are to mod the OEM exhaust (as per excellent details for it on this forum!) and to get heated grips..

Yes!! I have been called to be 'crazy and out of mind' to be riding through the year but I always say I cant give up riding.. Its too much fun.. And riding is as dangerous as walking in the street if you see what I mean. You never know what could happen..

• Premium Member
Yes!! I have been called to be 'crazy and out of mind' to be riding through the year but I always say I cant give up riding.. Its too much fun.. And riding is as dangerous as walking in the street if you see what I mean. You never know what could happen.. 

Welcome to the boards!  Don't listen to the "haters"  :P  I too ride year round, here in Vancouver/Portland, and I get the same comment.

Thanks gents!

Quick question, I took my wife out with me for about 150 mile run and when we got back she said her legs had gone extremely cold from the wind blast and also she felt jolted every time the bike went over some holes or unevenness on the road..

Has anyone else noticed the wind blast for the pillion?

Also, I assume the 'jolting' is because of poor rebound / preload? I am thinking of increasing the preload by 1 or 2 and increasing rebound as well by 1/2 turn.. I know there has been extensive discussion here on suspension and how most of the folk have got them replaced with something better. However, I dont want to spend anything right now and want to play around with OEM ones just enough to make it comfortable (not extremely good but just enough)..

Thanks gents! 
Quick question, I took my wife out with me for about 150 mile run and when we got back she said her legs had gone extremely cold from the wind blast and also she felt jolted every time the bike went over some holes or unevenness on the road..

Also, I assume the 'jolting' is because of poor rebound / preload? I am thinking of increasing the preload by 1 or 2 and increasing rebound as well by 1/2 turn.. I know there has been extensive discussion here on suspension and how most of the folk have got them replaced with something better. However, I dont want to spend anything right now and want to play around with OEM ones just enough to make it comfortable (not extremely good but just enough)..
I cranked my rear preload up by 2 and my front up as well. Left dampening alone.. That seems to make two up work well.. Naturally I slow down as the compression of the rear shock is increased lowering ground clearance even with that.  I "Think" that increasing the rebound would be counter productive.. If you could increase the compression dampening that might help but we do not have that ability on the stock shock... Thats my 2 cents worth, 

Good Luck

• Premium Member
Thanks gents! 

Most people are happy enough with the stock suspension.

I would hazard a guess that those who have upgraded rather than adjusted their suspension represent a tiny fraction of owners. They are a particularly vocal fraction, though...
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Most people are happy enough with the stock suspension.

I would hazard a guess that those who have upgraded rather than adjusted their suspension represent a tiny fraction of owners. They are a particularly vocal fraction, though...
&&%$@**&&$%%^££@*&&&!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived