Reflections on 15,000 miles on a Tracer

My biggest gripe with the Tracer remains its designation by Yamaha as a sport-tourer. It’s not – it’s an out-and-out sports bike with modest touring pretensions that can be enhanced with some effort and spending, but not sufficiently to place it firmly into the touring category.
 To me, a sport tourer is something I can easily ride fast and also far. 
Surely some missing words here in your definition, keithu (not to put such words into your mouth, you understand!).[em] [/em][em]'In reasonable comfort'[/em] - or words to that effect - also needs to be included in the equation, IMHO.   One could ride a Ducati Panigale fast and also far, but in extreme discomfort, therefore the average guy (or gal) would not claim any touring pretensions for it.  I totally and happily agree with you about the Tracer's ergo's, and I have  previously referred to them as 'GS-like', which in my book is a major compliment.
But[strong] out-of-the crate[/strong] and before any fettling I submit that for the average rider a Tracer is an unsatisfactory would-be serious tourer, given its well-publicised shortcomings such as harsh suspension; even harsher seat; and annoying and distracting transmission (chain) 'whine'.   All these detract from serious touring capabilities, for many at least.
But as I said (or implied) these can be rectified to a greater or lesser extent, as many have done here, including myself.
The bottom line for me has to be a comparison.   Some years ago I did a solo ~15,000km circuit of Australia, keeping the sea to my right-hand side, on my BMW R1200 GS.   It carried me in total comfort and with utter reliability on that journey in extreme conditions at times, including two legs of over 1000km a day, one in temperatures of 44 deg C and humidity to match.   I'd love to do that circuit again, but in the opposite direction next time, but despite my feeling that I've gone about as far as I can in civilizing the Tracer and moving it some way towards a 'proper' touring machine there is no way in the world that I'd attempt it on that bike.   But for what it is, it's fine!
So as always in these discussions, YMMV and IMHO and all that!  

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
@johan What time will you be leaving for France? I think I'm on the half 7 train - heading to Assen. I might be crying out for a new seat after a couple of 300 mile days!

I'm on the 10:22. PM sent.

Archived