Need help with Sena SMH10R setup

Do Sena's instructions really suck, or is it just me?

Despite repeated attempts, I cannot get my SMH10R set up correctly. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S4, and a Garmin 660.
I want the GPS to have priority when giving a directional command, temporarily muting the music playing from the S4 while it gives a command.

I can get one or the other, but not both to cooperate together. I even had friends who are experienced Sena users attempt it and they couldn't do it. It seems like multi-point communication would be the correct method, but no luck.

Any have a similar problem with a SMH10R? Sena's (fake) forum is all but useless, and I can't find a youtube setup video for this model. Any idea's on what's wrong? Is it me, or the hardware?
Keep Asheville weird!

I have the sena 10u, but could be the same software inside. Mine says to pair the GPS as a "second mobile phone" so it interrupts but then reverts to the first source.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member
Yes bentaero the instructions do suck, thank god for YouTube.
I have a Sena smh10 and a Galaxy s5 and have always had issues with this phone not only synching up but staying connected once synced, it also seems to like some devices better than others. I also had a Galaxy tablet and I had a hell of a time connecting the s5 with it, and they were both running the same software versions.

Anyway before the s5 I was using an Iphone with the Sena and had very little trouble synching up, I could receive calls, the intercom worked fine and it stayed connected. It wasn't perfect with a few bugs here and there but it did what I needed it to do.

What I would do if I were you is borrow an Iphone or a non- Samsung android from a buddy and see if that works.

I like android but I won't buy another Samsung phone, their hardware's great but they insist on loading their crappy bloatware on their phones and that's creating most of these problems.

BLB

Yes bentaero the instructions do suck, thank god for YouTube. I have a Sena smh10 and a Galaxy s5 and have always had issues with this phone not only synching up but staying connected once synced, it also seems to like some devices better than others. I also had a Galaxy tablet and I had a hell of a time connecting the s5 with it, and they were both running the same software versions.

Anyway before the s5 I was using an Iphone with the Sena and had very little trouble synching up, I could receive calls, the intercom worked fine and it stayed connected. It wasn't perfect with a few bugs here and there but it did what I needed it to do.

What I would do if I were you is borrow an Iphone or a non- Samsung android from a buddy and see if that works.

I like android but I won't buy another Samsung phone, their hardware's great but they insist on loading their crappy bloatware on their phones and that's creating most of these problems.

Thanks Robert. We did notice the (poor) instructions keep repeating "iPhone" and never once mention Android. I was hoping they were just using 'iPhone' as a generic term for a smartphone.
Keep Asheville weird!

I have the sena 10u, but could be the same software inside. Mine says to pair the GPS as a "second mobile phone" so it interrupts but then reverts to the first source.
I'll try the "second mobile phone" method again, as I did seem to have (briefly) better luck with getting both Android/music and GPS to both function.
Keep Asheville weird!

Do Sena's instructions really suck, or is it just me? 
Despite repeated attempts, I cannot get my SMH10R set up correctly. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S4, and a Garmin 660.
I want the GPS to have priority when giving a directional command, temporarily muting the music playing from the S4 while it gives a command.

I can get one or the other, but not both to cooperate together. I even had friends who are experienced Sena users attempt it and they couldn't do it. It seems like multi-point communication would be the correct method, but no luck.

Any have a similar problem with a SMH10R? Sena's (fake) forum is all but useless, and I can't find a youtube setup video for this model. Any idea's on what's wrong? Is it me, or the hardware?
I have my music on the Zumo 660 mp3 player and it cuts out when the Garmin unit gives directions.  Only trouble is the level of sound, not enough above 50.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Archived