Extended Warranty?

• Premium Member
Indubitably (without a doubt, yes), bought new in 1999 with 0 miles and shared my stable with 5 other steeds.

I've ridden from NoCal to Chicago on a 1961 BSA 250 single and from SoCal across Canada on my big single-lung 500 Matchless (see my profile avatar). 

Since 1973 I have approximately 600,000 bumpy motorcycle miles on my kidneys but unfortunately very few long tours just a ton of day trips with literally only a few weekenders in the mix. I cannot calculate how many hours in the saddle that mileage equates to (start at an average of what, 40 miles per hour?) and unfortunately I have no "padding " beneath my buttock dermis; i.e., a bony butt.  Which makes a comfy saddle and perfect ergonomics essential; something I seem to be always tweaking depending on my current mission statement.  For the FJ-09 I've installed lower bars with more sweep (as I am coming from predominantly cafe, sport touring and sportbikes), rubber covered foot pegs, the Givi touring screen and spoiler, and, of course, the Sargent PP.

• Premium Member
No worries, it happens all the time even in "person".

I like your how-to videos.  Whereas I wrote, produced, filmed and developed color movies back in the late 60s and early 70s, and shot videos of the kids, I've never operated a digital video camera and only have made my short, low rez clips utilizing my smart phones.  I don't think I have the patience any more or the know-how to make and edit a how-to video.  I did recently post a how-to on my version of a AISectomy.

You said you were in engineering school and obviously like scotch or whiskey...  What regimen are you pursuing?

@vinnie - Given the miles you're riding, I would be very tempted to invest the $400 for another four years of coverage. I only put 5,000 miles on my bike in the first year, and elected to not buy the extended YES warranty. At 20K+ miles per year, I would have done it without thinking twice.
It's a Yamaha.  I put 83,000 on my FJR before using the YES warranty to replace the Cam Chain Tensioner, just a month or so before the warranty expired.  I figured that repair cost me twice what it would have cost w/o the YES.  I did 25K on the FJ the first year and figured it would go the 100K w/o any major issue.  Maybe, but who knows.  We will see.  If I keep this shit up it might not last. 

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

I like your how-to videos.  Whereas I wrote, produced, filmed and developed color movies back in the late 60s and early 70s, and shot videos of the kids, I've never operated a digital video camera and only have made my short, low rez clips utilizing my smart phones.  I don't think I have the patience any more or the know-how to make and edit a how-to video.  I did recently post a how-to on my version of a AISectomy.

You said you were in engineering school and obviously like scotch or whiskey...  What regimen are you pursuing?
Thanks for watching them! I'm doing the best I have with primarily my cell phone camera at the moment and some basic editing software. Eventually I'll spend a bit more money on a nicer camera and tripod, which will certainly help production quality. 
I saw your AISectomy how to... I'll give it a looksy next time I have the tank off.

I'm supposed to graduate with my Master of Science in Aerospace Engineering from Iowa State this coming May. A lot of work still needs to be done to make that a reality though.

At the moment I'm sipping on The Glenlivet Nadurra. A single malt Scotch, which uses first fill American White Oak casks and is bottled at cask strength. 

• Premium Member

Thanks for watching them! I'm doing the best I have with primarily my cell phone camera at the moment and some basic editing software. Eventually I'll spend a bit more money on a nicer camera and tripod, which will certainly help production quality. 
I saw your AISectomy how to... I'll give it a looksy next time I have the tank off.

I'm supposed to graduate with my Master of Science in Aerospace Engineering from Iowa State this coming May. A lot of work still needs to be done to make that a reality though.

At the moment I'm sipping on The Glenlivet Nadurra. A single malt Scotch, which uses first fill American White Oak casks and is bottled at cask strength. 
Coincidentally, I was an aerospace engineer with Convair (which was bought by MacDac, who was absorbed by Boeing) back when it was still building Atlas Centaur launch vehicles the Shuttle Payload Bays and Manipulator Arm Booms, Tomahawk SLCM & GLCM (we lost out on ALCM to Boeing), Phalanx SCDS, DC-10 fuselages, F102/106 spares, PBY and B-24 spares, F111HB, HEO-B, 240-~880 series spares, MX Missile Deployment Modules, F-16 components, and stuff when I asked what I was working on I'd be asked "Do you have a need to know?" (my kids hate that phrase). The Lindbergh Field Plant, Plant 19 and Kearny Mesa plants plus Pt. Magoo were still going but not at near capacity.  They were just upgrading the Bridgeport mills they used to build B-24s in WW2 to electric tape CNC and I rode around the LF plant Schwinn 3-wheeled bicycles with a rear basket that dated back to before WW2.  They had thermal paper copiers and the first modem thermal paper fax machines were just coming on-line but IBM mainframes and dealing with the encoding pool was my only choice until the TI-59 came out.  Those were the days of course before AutoCAD and STAAD 1. 
But that was two careers ago.

Mmmm, save me some of that brown juice and bring it to Skokie next time you're though O'Hare (ORD = Orchard Field), which I still remember...

Chemical and bio-mechanical engineering is where you need to be!

Archived