New Helmet Brake Light

The biggest danger facing a motorcyclist while riding in traffic is getting rear-ended by a car. To address this, Cosmo Connected has debuted at CES 2017 a solution to help keep two-wheeled commuters a little safer on the road.

The Cosmo is an extra visible brake light made of 12 LEDs that attaches to the back of any existing motorcycle helmet via a magnet. The housing is made of polycarbonate and EPDM rubber, is weather resistant, and weighs 150 grams (5.3 ounces).

Powered by a lithium polymer battery that’s good for 450 minutes of operation on a single charge, the brake light can be programmed to act either as a normal brake light — illuminating on deceleration when sensed by the built-in accelerometer — or it can be set via an app to blink a constant pattern, which might be preferred in less visible conditions, or by cyclists looking to borrow this technology.

“Our goal with Cosmo Connected is to create a new safety standard for motorcyclists,” said Romain Afflelou, president of Cosmo Connected.

The Cosmo is more than just a brake light; its least noticeable feature is one that could save a rider’s life. Should the Cosmo detect a collision, it will send a command to the connected app to alert emergency services along with geolocation info and medical profile. The app can also automatically alert emergency contacts.

The connected features can also be used for real-time monitoring of location that can be shared with trusted parties. Cosmo also said that it can anonymize the data to determine high-risk areas for motorcyclist collisions.

“Cosmo is not just a connected gadget, but a powerful tool designed to save lives,” added Afflelou.

The Cosmo Connected accessory will be released in May 2017 and will retail for $99 or 99 euros.

cosmo1.jpg

By Marcus Yam — January 4, 2017 7:02 AM

http://cosmoconnected.com/

• Premium Member
I have a LED brake system that is hard wired to my existing brake system. It has a module that is mounted under the rear seat section. The LED's are two rows top and bottom over the license plate. Now if the module could be bluetoothed to this helmet brake light, IMHO it would be much more safe and secure over a motion based system. I would have to be very convinced this system wouldn't activate by mistake. Here's a step further, why not make a vest that does the same thing?
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

I have a LED brake system that is hard wired to my existing brake system. It has a module that is mounted under the rear seat section. The LED's are two rows top and bottom over the license plate. Now if the module could be bluetoothed to this helmet brake light, IMHO it would be much more safe and secure over a motion based system. I would have to be very convinced this system wouldn't activate by mistake. Here's a step further, why not make a vest that does the same thing?
You depend on a chip accelerometer to inflate the airbag and maybe save your life every time you drive. And of course many motorcycles, including the Yamaha R1, have IMUs that include an accelerometer that "measures acceleration in the fore-aft up-down and right-left directions. All of these variables are calculated 125 times per second." 
Would you really rather depend on a wireless bluetooth connection than this hardwired proven technology for activating the lights? Though the app is connected via bluetooth.

You depend on a chip accelerometer to inflate the airbag and maybe save your life every time you drive....
...so does the brake light come on only when I crash into something? :D
One way to find out. Put a camera on the back rack and let us know. Inquiring minds etc, etc. (rofl)  

One way to find out. Put a camera on the back rack and let us know. Inquiring minds etc, etc. (rofl)
hmm... I'm gonna need a volunteer.
Got it - 
motorobot2.png

http://auto.ndtv.com/news/valentino-rossi-meets-the-yamaha-motobot-1411676

But you might have to reprogram it to crash, I guess.

I agree with some of the concerns expressed here, but pretty much everything starts out with flaws and problems - bias ply motorcycle tires weren't quite equal to our radials, but better than hard rubber ones.

Fisher Body developed the industry’s first one-piece all-steel roof, called the Turret Top, and introduced it on all GM cars built in the U.S., beginning with the 1935 model year Chevrolet lineup. Previously, car roofs had been built around a wooden frame covered with canvas that had to be resealed every winter, limiting both the vehicle’s structural integrity and its design potential.

Archived